HELP! Need docs for my 3-cart expander

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Humbaba
Vic 20 Newbie

HELP! Need docs for my 3-cart expander

Post by Humbaba »

Howdy! Ok, here's the background:

I still own my VIC-20 from 1983, and back then I had a 3-port cartridge expander that allowed me to use my 24k ram cart, my 3k super expander, and switch in and out other carts.

I've been going through a C64 emulator kick for a while, and started fondly remembering VIC-20 Pharaoh's Curse from HES, to the point where I made a web page with all 16 screens on it.

http://stampy.ocean.washington.edu/~ericl/Pharaoh.htm

Anyway, I looked inside the ROM image of it that I have and it says HES V1.3x. When I look at the chips inside my physical cart, the labels read V1.4

I want to take a look at the code and see if it reads 1.4 or 1.3x. To do so, I need to get around the autoboot feature.

To do that I need to use the dip switches on my 3-port cart expander, but while it took only minutes to find my VIC-20 and a CBM monitor, finding a power supply, video cable, and the cart expander took many hours. I have no idea where if anywhere the docs to this are.

It's got 3 ports facing up, no easy way to daisy-chain two. It has a 8-slot DIP switch, a red square reset button, a fuse, the only text on it reads "CB/3S" (Cardbus 3-slot?)

Anyone have the docs for the dip switch settings? I'd post a photo but can't right now, I can post one on monday if needed.

Thanks!!
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Wish I could help you on your problem but I'm sure someone here will be able to!

Just wanted to say that you did a great job on your Pharoah's Curse website!! :shock:

Have you considered putting a scan of the front and back box, instruction sheet and one of the cartridge just to finish things off?

If you don't have them someone like Mayhem here might be nice enough to send you a scan (I would but only have the cart).

Cudo's to ya!
Brian
Humbaba
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Humbaba »

Heh, I bought it cheap on closeout back in 1984 or so, and didn't save game boxes back then. I don't think I have the manual either, just the cart at this point.

Oh, and on-topic for my help request, I tried the obvious of having all them dip switches set to on or off, doesn't help. I remember they have to be set in particular ways to bank the ROM correctly.

If nobody has docs to post, I'll have to sit down, map out the board traces, and figure out what it has to be, but that's a logic problem I don't want to have to solve.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I only have the cart myself at the moment, but I possibly have found someone with a complete copy (just confirming) that I will naturally grab. Though not for a cheap price, but that's life. Needless to say assuming the cart in that works fine, I'll have a copy spare soon.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Mayhem wrote:I only have the cart myself at the moment, but I possibly have found someone with a complete copy (just confirming) that I will naturally grab. Though not for a cheap price, but that's life. Needless to say assuming the cart in that works fine, I'll have a copy spare soon.
It would make an interesting addition if the box and instructions are rare to come by (Mayhem your the barometer on this considering your collection and if you don't have it...it's rare :) ).

I wonder if the instructions are a 1 piece of paper or booklet and whether the box is done plainly or attractively?

I just got this game myself and yes for the Vic-20 it's a definite A+ game. Too bad not many more were made with this many multi-screens :cry:

Brian
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

If there are 8 switches, then maybe the first 4 indicates from which block and the next 4 to which block.... For example, from block 5 to 3 would be:

on off off off
off on off off

But that is just a wild guess....

When you have something in block 3, you can save the cart with:

POKE43,0:POKE44,96
POKE45,0:POKE46,128
SAVE"NAME",8

The resulting file will of course have block 3 as it's loading
address, so to load it into block 5 and run it, do this:

POKE43,0:POKE44,160
LOAD"NAME",8
SYS64802

...or load the file into a PC and change the first two bytes to 00 A0. After that you can load it ,8,1

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

I want to take a look at the code and see if it reads 1.4 or 1.3x. To do so, I need to get around the autoboot feature.

To do that I need to use the dip switches on my 3-port cart expander, but while it took only minutes to find my VIC-20 and a CBM monitor, finding a power supply, video cable, and the cart expander took many hours. I have no idea where if anywhere the docs to this are.

It's got 3 ports facing up, no easy way to daisy-chain two. It has a 8-slot DIP switch, a red square reset button, a fuse, the only text on it reads "CB/3S" (Cardbus 3-slot?)
It sounds a heck of a lot like my 3 port expander from Cardco.

sadly i am pretty sure that my expander has only 7 switches, so i don't think i can help you, but here goes:

1&2 for slot one to go into bank 3 or 5

3&4 for slot two to go into bank 3 or 5

5&6 for slot three to go into bank 3 or 5

7 for switching all three slots

chris
Humbaba
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Humbaba »

Thanks! I'l try that as soon as I can.

Yes, I am an idiot. There are only 7 dip switch settings.

Last night I tried to map it out, but some of the traces go under the DIP block where I can't visually follow them, and my fancy-schmancy 2-yr-old Radio Shack 22-801 digital multimeter lost it's continuity testing feature for no apparent reason. I guess I need a new one.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

wow, not it is sounding just like the cardco one!

i hope to transcribe some of the info for you tonight

chris
Humbaba
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Humbaba »

Ok, I finally broke down a used some trial and error (only 128 possible combinations of 7 bits!) and 1&2 off, 3&4 on, 5 off, 6&7 on got the middle slot to work and allowed me to peek at the ROMs on my Pharaoh's Curse cart.

Turns out, despite the labels reading V1.4, the code read V1.3x, same as the ROMS off the net.

Mystery solved! Many thanks everyone.

FYI, I took a survey of all the carts I own, and came up with:
Pharaoh's Curse
HESMon
Super Expander
MSD 24K ram expansion
jupiter lander
mission impossible (in a cart reading road race crossed out)
final orbit/bumper bash double
omega race
avenger
computer war
the count

So, nothing rare.
Humbaba
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Humbaba »

Wooo! While sorting my misc Atari cart box, I found the manual to my expansion port!

It's a Cardco Cardboard 3s.

The docs are pretty good, I'll need to figure out how to OCR them for future reference, but for now:

Dip 1: Slot 1, block 5
Dip 2: Slot 1, block 3
Dip 3: Slot 2, block 5
Dip 4: Slot 2, block 3
Dip 5: Slot 3, block 5
Dip 6: Slot 3, block 3
Dip 7: Blocks 1&2 for all 3 slots