XE1541 cable

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

XE1541 cable

Post by Jeff-20 »

I dug up my XE1541 cable which Brian Ketterling made for me (does anyone know how to get in touch with him??)

Anyway, I need help figuring out how to use it again. I used to use it with an old 386 computer and Star Commander software. I remember it wouldn't work with my pentium1 when I got it. Now I have an AMD athlon. Which program should I use? Will it work? I just assume all of you use the cable with modern systems...

Also, does the parrallel port setting matter? (EPP, etc.)
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

ok. I ran Star Commander again and I can't seem to figure it out. I am using XP. Is this my problem?
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

ok. I ran Star Commander again and I can't seem to figure it out. I am using XP. Is this my problem?
Yes. You should make yourself a DOS start disk (or download an image of one from the net) and start the computer in pure DOS.

The parallell port settings also matter, as does the cable settings; you must tell SC that you're using an XE cable and not a plain X cable.

Edit: You can make a DOS start disk in XP by right-clicking on the floppy drive in My Computer, choosing Format from the menu and checking the "Create DOS Start Disk" box before formatting. It doesn't create a complete DOS start disk (there's no AUTOEXEC.BAT file on it) but I think it should work with SC.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I am still having trouble. I need to get this fixed before I can upload my programs.

I am using an Athlon 1800 with XP, a 1541 II, a XE1541 cable. I started from a DOS boot disk as Bacon recommended. I run Star Commander and get a

"ERROR Drive 8: not present"

I am using a 1541II. I also have an Indus GT, but I no longer have a plain 1541. Does that make a difference?

Here are the config settings I tried:

Normal transfer mode
XE1541 cable serial
none paralell

LPT1
LPT1
x detect ports mode
0 manual timeouts
9 delay value

1541 drive type

Can anyone figure out this mystery, or should I start looking for a 386 again because it always works on those. :roll:
Leeeeee
soldering master

Post by Leeeeee »

I think StarCommander has a calibrate function somewhere where it calculates the best value for delay automatically. I had to do this last time I used it and +/-1 from the calculated value didn't work.

Cheers,

Lee.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Jeff, I use a Pentium Pro 200Mhz machine with DOS 7.0 (Windows 98 DOS mode) connected to a 1541-II drive using an XE1541 cable. The difference between my setup and yours is that my parallell port is set to ECP and that I use warp transfer mode (highly recommended!).

As Leeeeee said, you should do a Recalibrate (on the Transfer Options screen) to get the right delay value.

Take a look at the troubleshooting section in the StarCommander manual (SC.TXT). It might help. You can also contact the author, Joe Forster directly. His address is on the StarCommander homepage.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

ECP and warp mode did it! It now works. Thanks guys! I am going to post a whole bunch of programs here tonight. :D
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Great, Jeff!