Some Vic's are much hotter than others!!!!

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:I have 5 working Vics 2 of which are the older 9v versions. Although they do get hotter than the 3 CR versions I find them both to be more stable and have better composite video and audio output. All in all, I think they're the better machine. :)
I agree that the graphics are better on the 2 prong model... But I don't know if that's because older vic chips are better than new ones or if it's the surrounding electronics.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

The 2 pronged Vic was, at the time, Commodore's only home computer, using chips that were meant for commercial video arcade machines. I would imagine that the quality of those chips would have been higher at this time than when the Vic 20 was the cheapest colour computer with a real keyboard on the planet.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Well, I went ahead and put heatsinks on every single chip in my VIC. The heatsinks I used are the exact ones that PaulQ used in this thread. They sure make a difference big time. Thanks.

Barney