Some clarification regarding aspect ratio needed here..

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Trypticon
Vic 20 Newbie

Some clarification regarding aspect ratio needed here..

Post by Trypticon »

Hi, I just tried Vic-20 emulation a short time ago and have wondered about this:

I took some screens with Vice (2.1), which are 416x252 in size, which is, according what I've gathered here roughly the correct ratio, if borders are included. But this does not apply to the game area itself.

Examples:
Image Image
Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

So if I'd wanted to remove the borders anyway, and resize like this, it would be more accurate, is this correct?

Image Image
Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

So if I'd wanted to remove the borders anyway, and resize like this, it would be more accurate, is this correct?
Not necessarily, some programs can modify the border area... so removing it wouldn't give a full picture of what's on the VIC screen. I'd just leave in the border, unless you have a specify reason not to.
Trypticon
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Trypticon »

saehn wrote:
Not necessarily, some programs can modify the border area... so removing it wouldn't give a full picture of what's on the VIC screen. I'd just leave in the border, unless you have a specify reason not to.
Right, of course if I'd remove the borders, then only to the extent there is nothing visible there that is game relevant, or alternatively leave them there completely. I'm not using "accurate" here in the sense of what would be seen on the VIC screen as a whole , it's just limited to the ratio of what I would call the game relevant area, illustrated by the shots.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Look at YouTube videos captured from real vic-20s!

The PAL (European) and NTSC (American) aspects are quite different.

This is the output from my own PAL Vic-20 recorded on an ordinary DVD-recorder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRdJjuk1wDw
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

... and video recorded of a VIC 20 on a real NTSC too. :D
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Trypticon
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Trypticon »

I feared that somebody would bring up the video standards. :wink:

Thanks for pointing me to the videos.

Looking at them and the online emulators, it's looks like it's usually more square than 1.6 in the "text area" , and on a PAL system even more?

Eventually those screens of mine will pop up in one of the web's game databases, I'll probably go with one or two compromise resolutions.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Why remove the borders from the screenshots? They're part of the VIC 20's "look and feel" as far as I'm concerned; without them the screenshots just don't look right to me.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I gotta agree with Bacon on this one. Screenshots without borders seem weird. It's like they lack context and I end up wondering what else is missing.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Another thing to consider, as previously pointed out is that the VIC-20 screen is highly flexible. You can alter the number of columns and rows within certain limits (PAL more flexible than NTSC). While most games may run in 22x23, some may use 24x21, 16x30 or even take advantage of a fully expanded screen about 26x31 or so. Of course you can remove the borders, but it will mean each image has different proportions and when scaled down, what usually would be equally sized characters will look smaller or bigger than normally. That reason on its own should merit keeping borders.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Trypticon
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Trypticon »

Bacon wrote:Why remove the borders from the screenshots? They're part of the VIC 20's "look and feel" as far as I'm concerned; without them the screenshots just don't look right to me.
If it was up to me I'd leave them, but there might be technical or arguments of consistency which will prevent to keep them for some games (i.e. like the ones above).
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

Trypticon wrote:
Bacon wrote:Why remove the borders from the screenshots? They're part of the VIC 20's "look and feel" as far as I'm concerned; without them the screenshots just don't look right to me.
If it was up to me I'd leave them, but there might be technical or arguments of consistency which will prevent to keep them for some games (i.e. like the ones above).
If anyone's going to provide relatively reliable technical arguments of consistency, it would be this crew :-) and the so far everyone here says that you should probably leave them in to be as accurate as possible.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I understand it as if the webpage (game database, something like Moby?) in question has a policy to strip unnecessary borders from all screenshots, no matter the system. For systems with a fixed border that never can contain graphics, I'm sure it just can be omitted but the VIC border as mentioned is quite flexible.
Anders Carlsson

Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

carlsson wrote:I understand it as if the webpage (game database, something like Moby?) in question has a policy to strip unnecessary borders from all screenshots, no matter the system. For systems with a fixed border that never can contain graphics, I'm sure it just can be omitted but the VIC border as mentioned is quite flexible.
The game designers also most likely deliberately chose a border color that enhances the look of a particular game. Whether the border contains graphics or not it's still very often an integral part of the games.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yes, they carefully chose one of the eight available border colours. :lol:
Anders Carlsson

Trypticon
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Trypticon »

carlsson wrote:I understand it as if the webpage (game database, something like Moby?) in question has a policy to strip unnecessary borders from all screenshots, no matter the system. For systems with a fixed border that never can contain graphics, I'm sure it just can be omitted but the VIC border as mentioned is quite flexible.
Sort of. It's thelegacy.de, which I would guess has a much more closed and smaller audience (almost all German I suppose), and has more of an "hobbyist" touch. I'm merely an occasionally contributor, sharing my "discoveries" so to speak. :wink:

I have to say I was a little too quick with my assumptions about the use of the VIC screen, initially I thought the vast majority of the games would look like the ones I posted above.
What Bacon suggests about the border screen colour is also what I noticed when taking a closer look at the gamebase entries. i.e. it's definitely part of the visuals.