Finally beat Adventureland!

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Finally beat Adventureland!

Post by Jeff-20 »

After, like, 20 years, I finally sat down and beat Adventureland! Wow that game is frustrating and tedious! Stupid bees keep suffocating. I much prefer The Count (beat that for the first time last year). This thread is not really news. Just thought I would mention it.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Congrats! Better late than never :D . I agree with The Count being better than this one.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

You're a better man than I am..those blasted chiggers always got in the way!
:)
Congrats!
Learning all the time... :)
InfernalKeith
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by InfernalKeith »

Congratulations! I have a whole pile of the Scott Adams adventures sitting next to my TI 99/4A, and one of my goals for the fall/winter is to get through them and map them. I always like text adventures in theory, but never have enough time to devote to them (one reason I like retro games - you can get in and get out, in most cases). I'm embarrassed to say I've never even finished Zork I...

I have Adventureland and The Count for the Vic, and I may have one or two others -- how many of the Scott Adams games came out for Vic, and were they all on cart?

Keith
Richard James
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Richard James »

Going from a list from Wikipedia and cropping those not listed as VIC20 on Moby games
# Adventureland (1978)
# Pirate Adventure (1978–1979)
# Secret Mission (1979)
# Voodoo Castle (In collaboration with Alexis Adams) (1980)
# The Count (1981)

I'm sure that the VIC20 gamebase has a better list.

I too must admit defeat in Adventureland but I believe I finished the Pirate one.
Change is inevitable except from a vending machine.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I never even played Zork. Looks fun, but it's too complicated for me. I just don't have the attention span.

I've finished Big Bad Wolf, the Count, and Adventureland. That's it. Fast, simple games.

EDIT: and that 9:05 game, which I highly recommend. It only takes 30 minutes to play and complete, but you'll remember it forever. hahaha :lol:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
InfernalKeith
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by InfernalKeith »

I gotta say, as a Vic nOOb, that the 22-column display is horribly off-putting for text adventures. I don't really even dig the 28-columns on the TI for that purpose. Infocom games on the TI take advantage of its "text only" 40-column mode, which makes them much more readable onscreen.

I know, I know, picky. And I'm sure I'll get used to it the more I play with the Vic.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yes, all five Scott Adams adventures were cartridges. They may be slightly different from other releases, but I don't really know about that. At least Commodore managed to squeeze in parser plus adventure data within 16K, with no possibility to load data in parts.

Despite what I wrote yesterday about word processors and whether they should support more than the native resolution, I agree that in an adventure game with lots of text, the 22 column display quickly gets filled up.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

carlsson wrote:Despite what I wrote yesterday about word processors and whether they should support more than the native resolution, I agree that in an adventure game with lots of text, the 22 column display quickly gets filled up.

Code: Select all

Not only does it get
filled up quickly, 22
columns sometimes
barely fit more than
three words in a line,
leading to a very
imbalanced display
- the right edge of
the text is too
uneven, as you see.

Compared to this, a column in a news