Mutant Herd

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Mutant Herd

Post by Jeff-20 »

I really think we should discuss this game. Mutant Herd by Thorn EMI. It's available on the Megacart/Multi-cart or zimmers (prg).

I first encountered the game in a review in Video Games Player (Fall 1983). The review didn't really make much sense, and I think the game is very hard to describe. When I finally played it, I was impressed by what seems to be totally original (if not very fun) game mechanics.

Then I was also impressed to see it mentioned in the thread for the Worst VIC Games where one of the greatest game reviewers of our time (of Gameroom Blitz fame) said of it:
ArugulaZ wrote:Some of those Thorn Emi games left me scratching my head... they were so strange and abstract, particularly Mutant Herd, where you had to use a crosshair to sweep bizarre creatures into bottomless holes.
I agree there is a learning curve, but I want to know what you guys think of this game. Please specify if you played it first in the 80s or now because I think that makes a difference. I first played it this year, and I was very annoyed for a good length of time. Still, I am torn because I want to applaud totally original game play over the typical derivative stuff that found its way to the VIC.

I want reviews!

:?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
InfernalKeith
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by InfernalKeith »

I actually *just* played it (on original cart) for the first time tonight, as I was going through a box of stuff I hadn't tested out yet. (Right now I'm trying for the third time to load "Rescue From Nufon", from Nufekop, from tape, and getting the sad feeling it's no use).

Very weird idea, and VERY off-putting at first, but I get the feeling it could grow strangely addictive once you get the hang of it. IF anyone would bother. It's very chaotic and weird, and you almost get the feeling like you're missing some important part of the plot -- like, are you really supposed to dump all those creatures off the side of the screen into oblivion? Should you be (wait for it) herding them somewhere specific?

I dunno, I went from "wtf?" to "ooookay, when I have time I may really like this" to "man, I dunno, where's Gorf?" in about five minutes with it, but I definitely plan to revisit it.