Help test the much rewritten xvic for the next VICE.

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I've been using this beta version of xvic for several days, and no problems yet, except for snapshot images (.vsf) of cartridge dumps. For example, if I "smart attach" a one-part or a two-part rom image, I can play the game correctly. But if I save a vsf snapshot either with the "save currently loaded ROM" option or without it, and try to load the vsf, it won't work.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but this function works with normal disk or tape games.
Last edited by orion70 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

XVIC beta work fine for me, very good work!

But some things would be "nice to have":

+ own extensions for each cartridge type so I can drag and drop it or double click

+ FE3 cartridge file must have 512KB. It would be nice if 32KB to 512KB would be possible as file length.

+ a tool for extracting own MegaCart image would be nice. So MegaCart emulation is not possible for me.

+ maybe a cartridge header would be nice, like .crt in C64 emulation. In this header a type could automatically recogized by XVIC.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I would like a totally automatic autostart function, setting up the memory expansion settings correctly for the .prg file to be loaded automatically, and starting with a sys automatically if needed. You are welcome to use the source for my PrgInfo program for this purpose: http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... php?t=1823

It's in basic, but you could just see how it works and convert it...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Boray wrote:I would like a totally automatic autostart function, setting up the memory expansion settings correctly for the .prg file to be loaded automatically, and starting with a sys automatically if needed. You are welcome to use the source for my PrgInfo program for this purpose: http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... php?t=1823

It's in basic, but you could just see how it works and convert it...
You only need a Final Expansion 3 (or a FE3 emulation on VICE) ... :wink:
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

Diddl wrote:+ own extensions for each cartridge type so I can drag and drop it or double click
I'd rather handle that as cartridge header.
Diddl wrote:+ FE3 cartridge file must have 512KB. It would be nice if 32KB to 512KB would be possible as file length.
Would that be the first 32Kb then? What should happen upon writeback, write the full 512Kb?
I could make it just put a warning in the log if attaching less than 512Kb and pad with $ff.
Diddl wrote:+ a tool for extracting own MegaCart image would be nice. So MegaCart emulation is not possible for me.
This will be released some time before the vice 2.2 release.
Diddl wrote:+ maybe a cartridge header would be nice, like .crt in C64 emulation. In this header a type could automatically recogized by XVIC.
This is planned.
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

tlr wrote:Would that be the first 32Kb then?
Yes!

More better solution would be:

32K - 512KB: ==> from Flash addres 0, rest filled with ff

12KB, 16KB: firmware only, upper bound at 32K, rest ff,

(for example 12K from Flash address 5000 to 7FFF, so it is in VIC mem 7000 to 7fff and A000 to B000)

reason is, I plan a tool in firmware to make a flash backup. would be nice to have a easy way to use backup directly in XVIC.

tlr wrote:What should happen upon writeback, write the full 512Kb?
yes, or maybe without leading ff ??

tlr wrote:I could make it just put a warning in the log if attaching less than 512Kb and pad with $ff.
wonderful idea!

tlr wrote:This will be released some time before the vice 2.2 release.
very fine!

tlr wrote:This is planned.
super!!
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

orion70 wrote:I've been using this beta version of xvic for several days, and no problems yet, except for snapshot images (.vsf) of cartridge dumps. For example, if I "smart attach" a one-part or a two-part rom image, I can play the game correctly. But if I save a vsf snapshot either with the "save currently loaded ROM" option or without it, and try to load the vsf, it won't work.
Snapshots are not yet implemented for the rewritten cartridge system.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Wow, that's a lot of improvements listed. Will this be ready before Christmas? I love making retro-gaming DVDs to hand-out as office gifts with the latest in emulator technology has to offer for the year.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
ArugulaZ
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by ArugulaZ »

Any chance you can get Mountain King running?
SCREW BEAR
Bear is so startled that he falls off cliff.

http://kiblitzing.blogspot.com/
matsondawson
The Most Noble Order of Denial

Post by matsondawson »

I can't work out how to attach cart images...
I've tried selecting the exact mem locations, smart-attach, generic attach. It just resets and doesn't run the cart.
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

You will need files withoud loading address, file length must be 8192

For cartriges which allocate 2 Blocks, maybe $6 and $a you will need 16KB files.
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

Diddl wrote:You will need files withoud loading address, file length must be 8192

For cartriges which allocate 2 Blocks, maybe $6 and $a you will need 16KB files.
Actually it is supposed to handle load address as well.
the Add to generic... submenu _adds_ more rom sections to the currently active generic cartridge configuration.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

@tlr, bumping my question:
Bacon wrote:I just compiled the SDL version. The window scaling is great! Any chance to get it implemented in the Gnome-UI version?
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

Bacon wrote:@tlr, bumping my question:
Bacon wrote:I just compiled the SDL version. The window scaling is great! Any chance to get it implemented in the Gnome-UI version?

Code: Select all

[18:48]	nojoopa: For Bacon is the Denial xvic thread:
[18:48]	nojoopa: gnomeui has had window scaling ("hardware scaling") for years, and in fact the SDL UI code is taken from there. Unlike SDL UI, it needs libgtkglext (and -dev), and there are no aspect ratio options available (feel free to implement those).