Poll: What do you do for a living?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Lozza
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Lozza »

i run a record company, manage bands and put on lots of gigs. done a couple of festivals - love it.

i've tried to do computers for a living in about 5 different companies but couldnt handle doing stuff for other people. i've accepted that i am a destructive influence at work and tend to make myself un-employable within a year. i much prefer to spend my time day-dreaming and tinkering about doing what i fancy not what someone else wants. music is perfect, i drift off listening to stuff for an hour, all under the name of 'research' and then when i am good and ready - crack on and sort out what needs to be sorted. happy days.
oi oi saveloy
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I studied English at university. As far as actual work goes, I'm completely unemployable. I've never been able to do anything I don't feel like doing.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

English Invader wrote:I'm completely unemployable.
You remind me about a friend of mine. He studied at the university for at least 12 years, mostly part time. He explicitely said he had no interest in getting employed and working. I'm not sure how he paid for his living, perhaps his parents were exceptionally well off.

Last time I heard from him he at least had started his own part-time consultant business. Exactly how many clients he would take on I don't know, perhaps only those projects that interest him personally.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Gary_Leeds
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Gary_Leeds »

I am a computer programmer in the amusement industry currently writing slot machine software on a z80 based board in C which can be a little tricky as I only have 32k to work with lol

I also dabble in website design in PHP with SQL databases
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Well, I've actually just recently changed my career. For years I was a gigging musician (there's seems to be quite a few musical types here!). After that I ran a couple of shops as manager including a Video Game Shop. :)

I then tried dabbling with real jobs - you know, the ones that involve working and things. Office work - I feckin' hate it!!

Had a stint as a maintenance bloke at a whisky business. Horrible, horrible people...

So, I left and followed my girlfriend on tour (she's an actor) and now I'm a tech in the theatre. I think I'm going to stick with this for quite a while. It's very hard work with long hours and shit pay but it's very creative and positive and isn't always about the bottom line...the only down side is that it makes it a bit of a nightmare to have the Vic hooked up all the time... :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

carlsson wrote:-"Oooh professor, I would do anything to pass this exam!" *blinking eyes*
-"Really anything?" *sounds enthusiastic*
-"Oh yes professor, anything you tell me to do!" *give glimpse of breasts*
-"Then I suggest you go home to study some more."
I know that scene; it's from The Life of David Gale.

"Okay, Berlin, I'll give you a good grade. I'll give you a very, very good grade, if you would just," [whispers in ear], "study".

Kevin Spacey at his finest.
BBQedIguana
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by BBQedIguana »

I'm the manager of web development at an ebay competitor, and a part time technical writer for NASA. :)
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

I work for an infrastructure company doing Unix (Solaris) installations, service and 3rd line support for our clients. I also do some AIX and Linux work.
Been doing this for for about 10 years now.
Always wanted to create commercial games, but never really got around to it.
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

carlsson wrote:So, Mr. Poetry Prof, what are the good rhymes for "VIC"? :lol:

Code: Select all

grep ick\*$ /usr/share/dict/words | more
gives 564 choices, of which many are names or have several syllables. Some "words" are not even there (like d-i-c-k). At least we share the same endings as the Oric people.
The VIC is sick - is it just old (or did I miss a trick?)
The screen is jumping, the games aren't loading
The Bytes aren't what they should be.
jdxpolygon
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by jdxpolygon »

I'm a games programmer with a small company, mostly for mobile/handheld formats. I don't enjoy it half as much as I enjoy making stuff for the C64/VIC :)
IsaacKuo
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by IsaacKuo »

You should develop a VIC20 emulator for a certain popular mobile/handheld format and then get SCREWED when you try to actually provide some software for it. That's sure to be extremely enjoyable! :wink:
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

and then get SCREWED when you try to actually provide some software for it.
That IS sickening, isn't it? :roll:
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

rhurst wrote:
and then get SCREWED when you try to actually provide some software for it.
That IS sickening, isn't it? :roll:
A quick web search turned up nothing... what are you guys talking about?
IsaacKuo
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by IsaacKuo »

The sad story of a Commodore 64 emulator. The moral of the story is that you're a fool if you invest the time and money to develop anything more sophisticated than a fart app.*
From iPhone App Store roulette: A tale of rejection
I would feel better about the App Store's decisions if they were understandable and predictable when they finally arrived, but they seem capricious and often outright wrong.
* (You may still be a fool if you invest the time and money to develop a fart app, and then you invest the time and money to sue another developer of a fart app, perhaps in hopes of becoming the SCO of fart apps, but that's another story...)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

IsaacKuo wrote:The sad story of a Commodore 64 emulator. The moral of the story is that you're a fool if you invest the time and money to develop anything more sophisticated than a fart app.*
Perhaps the moral of the story is that you're a fool if you develop software for any platform without considering the terms of the agreement you became party to when you registered as a developer. Apple was pretty clear about not approving emulators. With that being said, they may be changing their policy so the emulator may make it to market yet.

The more important question is whether we'll see a VIC-20 emulator.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.