a better Commodore VIC-20 commersial?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

ral-clan wrote:- wants to break bad spelling habits by not relying on automatic correction
I didn't say automatic correction. I am referring to an inline spellchecker which informs you when you misspell a word. This forces you to think more deeply about the correct spelling and perhaps check a dictionary. Doing so will help you to remember the correct spelling next time.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by wiskow »

What annoys me about spell checkers is that many people tend to over-rely on them, thinking that they'll correct their spelling AND grammar mistakes.
Cottonwood BBS & Borderline BBS
http://cottonwoodbbs.dyndns.org
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

What annoys me about spell checkers is they tend to be geared towards the American way of spelling words; so when I write "Neighbour," it shows up as incorrect when it's actually the right way to spell that word.
wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by wiskow »

DigitalQuirk wrote:What annoys me about spell checkers is they tend to be geared towards the American way of spelling words; so when I write "Neighbour," it shows up as incorrect when it's actually the right way to spell that word.
Aren't you usually able to set the dictionary that's used, so you can use U.S. English, Canadian English, UK English, etc.?
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

More often than not these things. like most of the intrawebs, are geared towards American English and often don't supply UK (or other) English... :)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

wiskow wrote:Aren't you usually able to set the dictionary that's used, so you can use U.S. English, Canadian English, UK English, etc.?
Some. Most also allow you to add/remove/modify entries so you tweak the dictionary to your liking. That's why my computer doesn't complain when I use slang, profanity or technical terms.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

My computer, on the other hand, understands that I am the boss in the computer-user relationship, and so never complains about anything at all so as not to get bitch-slapped. It just keeps me informed.

:wink:
wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by wiskow »

/me gets an image in his head of DigitalQuirk bitch-slapping his computer.

:lol:
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I keep a copy of the OED and a spelling dictionary at my desk.

Non-native speakers often do quite well in English language/literature classes because they question things that native speakers take for granted. I suspect this is because they have to consciously learn the language instead of just picking it up as an infant.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

English Invader wrote:I keep a copy of the OED and a spelling dictionary at my desk.
Everyone should keep them close at hand. The shelf above my computer also bears the weight of copies of The Oxford Style Manual, The King's English, A Dictionary of Modern English Usage, The Elements of Style, The New York Times Manual of Style and Usage and The Chicago Manual of Style. Yes, I realize that the first step is my admitting that I have a problem. :oops:

*ahem*

While I love the feeling of paper beneath my fingers, it's impossible to beat the convenience of having the computer literally mind my P's and Q's. To that end I just yesterday ordered the fourth edition of the The Oxford English Dictionary on CD-ROM. It's like Christmas in July.