New release: Carling the Spider

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

fgasking
Vic 20 Devotee

New release: Carling the Spider

Post by fgasking »

I hadn't seen a post about it, but Carling the Spider is now on sale from Psytronik Software. I noticed the other day that it was no longer on pre-order.

I don't think sadly there is any demo available, but i've ordered it and recieved my digital copy tonight and can say its an excellent game :)

I've added it to the 2009 releases post, which contains all the relevant details if anyone is interested.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah I spotted it a little while ago there and forgot to post here about it. Odd it's not on tape yet, but Kenz says it will be soon; for now, it's disk only.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yes, I even conducted some tape recording tests to get a conclusion which "master" computer would be best suited to record the tapes.

A very nice game from the preview I was sent. I wonder if jdxpolygon took any of the small suggestions I made into consideration?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I got my copy (Premium Edition) a couple of days ago. It's a really nice wee collect 'em up platformer. I can see Carling being the first Vic mascot!! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I ordered my copy last night. I've just been playing the ROM emulation and it's a really good game. I think it would have been better with a time limit on each level (food for thought on any update or sequel).
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

I ordered my copy today. It is very funny this game! :D
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

So, has anyone got a high score for this game yet? My highest so far is 59460.
jdxpolygon
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by jdxpolygon »

carlsson wrote:Yes, I even conducted some tape recording tests to get a conclusion which "master" computer would be best suited to record the tapes.

A very nice game from the preview I was sent. I wonder if jdxpolygon took any of the small suggestions I made into consideration?
Glad everyone seems to be happy with the game so far :) I'm working on duplicating the tape versions as of yesterday, so once I get those back to Kenz it'll be available on tape too. By which time everyone that wants it will probably have bought the disk instead :lol:

Carlsson: Sorry I never emailed you back about your tests and suggestions - I actually did write my response to you twice, but my web based e-mail kept timing out and destroying it! The good news is I did manage to get one of your changes in - preserving the previous score on the title screen until you start a new game. It was achievable without too many additional bytes, I really just had to arrange some code differently. Pedro Lambrini brought up that issue as well (I think?) so I couldn't really ignore 2 out of 2 testers on this matter :) I would have liked to get the level counter on screen too (and a countdown timer incidentally, I think someone mentioned that would be a good addition) but by that point, I was really beginning to exhaust my possibilities for new coding memory, and it was time to get those final versions to Kenz. I'd need to go back and read your email to remind myself of the other 2 points you made, i think one was about Carling continuing to bounce on rubber blocks after death - you were correct to assume I left that quirk in the game deliberately, since it looked quite amusing :)

Thanks again for your tape research, I'm sure others will find it to be a useful reference in the future too.

Has anybody made it to the Yellow border difficulty yet? :P
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

I have another criticism. There are too many extra lives available; especially on the levels where you can die and then quickly get your life back -- if you did that all day you could really run your score up.

I would reduce the amount of extra lives in the game and turn them into continues. That way the player would have the option to carry on at the same level -- at the expense of his previous score.
Bacon
for breakfast

Re: New release: Carling the Spider

Post by Bacon »

fgasking wrote:I don't think sadly there is any demo available, but i've ordered it and recieved my digital copy tonight and can say its an excellent game :)
How long did it take you to receive the download? I would have thought that you'd get it as soon as you paid, but I ordered the digital download versions of a couple of games several hours ago and I haven't received them yet. Do they handle the orders manually?
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
You'll get an email with an order confirmation in a day or two with a link to your download. At least, that's how it's been for me in the past. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

I'll have to be patient then :)
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

My copy came this morning. Nice job on the packaging, Kenz 8) .
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

Is there a download of this game to try - it's a long way here to the southern part of Australia?
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

As far as I understand, you can either buy the game in packaged disk form or as a digital download. People who buy the premium edition are also given a web link to a ROM emulation of the game upon payment.