Final Expansion :: 512KB SRAM + 512KB EEPROM + SD Card (2GB)

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Jeff-20 wrote:It's like a VIC 20 space race!
Americans' VIC-20s vs. the Soviets' Vostok-20s! ;)
I fully expect someone to put a working VIC console on the moon before the end of the decade.
By the end of 2010? ;)

Writing from Kent, Washington,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
July 25-26 Commodore Vegas Expo - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

RobertBe wrote:By the end of 2010? ;)
Hopefully, before 2012 :shock: .

:P
for(;;)
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by for(;;) »

Hello everybody,

I'm for(;;) and new here. I've been writing at forum64.de (German C64 forum) for a couple of years now and am the one who will distribute the VC20 Final Expansion.

In the next days, I'll order the first prototype PCBs in a limited edition of 10 PCBs. We want to perform a lot of tests before starting the production run in order to be sure, you'll receive a highly usable product later.

This is where you can help:
Become a Final Expansion Beta Tester!

We still need about three beta testers who are willing to buy a prototype PCB, solder it and perform some tests.

If the development of this cartridge would be a big deal, I'd really like to give you the cartridges for free and pay you for doing all the tests.
Unfortunately I'm a hobbyist thus _you_ will have to pay for all the needed parts, solder the PCB by yourself and all you'll get for your work is fame and honor :-)

If you're interested, send me a mail either here or to nils.eilers@gmx.de and let me know in which country you live enabling me to calculate parts and shipping costs you'd have to take.

Yours,
for(;;)
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

For Beta Tests it would be important for us you have a NTSC VIC (not PAL). Cause such devices are rare in europe.

Thank you Nils for your efforts.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Email sent. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
x1541
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by x1541 »

I have PAL and NTSC VIC-20 but no spare time for testing. I'm infamous already for being late with my own hardware projects. At least I don't take money in advance like other people and I still answer emails (sometimes) :)
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

FE3.1 is already tested under NTSC VIC and it is running fine!

Some small changes in hardware design are done:

+ Moving some parts to find a place for the screw which connects the plastic case.

+ A optionally second reset button to reset only VIC and not the FE3.1. It is useful so FE3.1 don't forget settings while VIC reset. FE3.1 now does the same as a real cartrige on a reset ...

+ An additional jumper for cutting BLK5 select from VIC. So it is possible to disable FE3.1 by a simple switch. Useful for people who has a slot extender.

Firmware changes for FE3.1:

+ A new Start Mode, which uses only BLK5 ressource (and this is switchable now). No software register, no other memory block are used in this mode.

+ The address of the software registers of the FE3.1 are moved two bytes higher: from address 39936 to 39938. So FE3.1 is more compatible to other cartriges

+ A second software register is established at 39939 (POKE 39939,x). This register allow to disable any block (1 bit for each block) and software registers. You can make FE3.1 complete invisible with it.

+ Problem with two games solved: moonpatrol and ms.pacman didn't start properly cause of bad initialisation of VIA by VIC firmware.

Now every known game and cartridge running on FE3.1!
for(;;)
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by for(;;) »

The PCBs for the prototypes are ordered and should arrive in approx. 2 weeks.

In the next days, I'll write those who offered help in beta-testing with information about prices, postage and how to pay and get it.
for(;;)
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by for(;;) »

The prices of the kits have been calculated now. These prices will be the same for the beta testers and those who'd like to order one later:

Code: Select all

[x] PCB FE512 V3 REV 9                        12.90 EUR
(double layer, solder resist, 
white silk screen on top, color: green)
[x] SD slot card reader (push in, push out)    2.95 EUR
[x] 3.3V voltage regulator LM1117IMP-3,3       1.25 EUR
[x] Programmed CPLD                            6.00 EUR
[x] Programmed Atmel 644                       6.50 EUR
[x] Other parts                               14.70 EUR
-----------------------------------------------------------------
total                                         44.30 EUR
The price includes a complete kit with all needed parts but neither shipping nor case. No batteries included!

In Germany, it might be an option to order the "other parts" by using this link http://www.reichelt.de/?ACTION=20;AWKID ... ROVID=2084
You might get these parts at your local dealer as well, but I strongly recommend to to get a complete kit. This assures, you'll get the right parts - e.g. the sockets must be as flat as possible (or it won't fit into a module case), Flashs must be Atmels Flashs AM29F040 only, condensor must be small and so on.

Seems as if shipping costs (priority mail, registered) within Europe will be 7.55 EUR and for outside Europe 10.60 EUR, but I'll have to check this again later.

If you live inside EU, I'd prefer wire transfer for payment, but you can pay per PayPal as well at your own choice.

The PCBs should arrive at the end of this week. Most parts for the kits have arrived by now, but I'm still waiting for the CPLDs...
First I'll build one prototype and check it. If I can't discover anything that's wrong, I'll start to ship those who have already paid.
If my tests end up in need of something to be fixed (I don't expect this), I'll fix it before shipping.

I expect to start shipping in approx two weeks.

After confirmation of shipping costs, I'll send those who were interested in beta-testing an order-form to be filled out and sent back via e-mail.

If you should be no longer interested to beta-test it (for what reason ever), that's no problem. Just leave a note and we'll look out for someone else.

Next time I'll post some photos...

If you have any question, please feel free to ask!

Best regards,
Nils
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Very good news for final expansion v3.1! :D

I had success on a port of SJLOAD (jiffy loader) for VIC-20. The firmware of FE3.1 will have a fully integrated and functional jiffy loader.

FE3.1 also has a build in SD2IEC which is also jiffy compatible. So Disk Loader will be very fast on integrated SD2IEC and any other external jiffy drive. A file with a length of 66 blocks will loaded in under 5 seconds. Most games for VIC only use one or two 33 block file.

Normal drives are also supported (with slow speed) in any mixture.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Great news, both for you and rest of the world.

Will there be a preview/demo of your cartridge at DoReCo next weekend?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
for(;;)
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by for(;;) »

carlsson wrote:Will there be a preview/demo of your cartridge at DoReCo next weekend?
I can't promise, but I'll see what I can do...
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

First professional PCB are delivered and tested. FE3.1 is working fine!!

Thanks to Nils and Björn who has made the hardware design!
shem
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by shem »

sorry to join in at this late stage but i thought it came as a kit nt assemled
also how much are these i would like to build one
I'll take my cart to go thank you ;)
for(;;)
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by for(;;) »

shem wrote:sorry to join in at this late stage but i thought it came as a kit nt assemled
also how much are these i would like to build one
That's right, it comes as a kit. I'll post some more pictures (including the unassembled kit) as soon as possible.
We're working on a complete kit with case - but that will take some time.
For prices, please see my post from Wed Jul 22, 2009 above.

Please notice that actually we're running the beta test only. That means, you can't buy one now.