WTB: Switchable Cart Port Expander

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

WTB: Switchable Cart Port Expander

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I recently bought one on eBay but it doesn't work! I plug in carts and nothing happens. Oh well.

Does anyone have one they'd sell me? Preferable quite small - I want to fit it into a case I'm working on.

Thanks in advance, P:)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

These things are usually pretty simple. Should be possible to fix it.

Have you tried cleaning the contacts, checking the fuse, flipping the dip-switches?

If you can tell us what model it is, or if you have photos, it would help.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

It's made by Cloyvale Ltd and it might be called a TCL 8303:

That's the only picture I can find - the one from the eBay auction. There seems to be nothing on the 'net about it, at all!

I have cleaned it and there are no fuses to check. I have farted about with the DIP switches and I can only get it to address the first 8K of a modded VIC 1110 memory cart. I can also read the loader menu on Eslapion's Behr Bonz cart but when I choose something to load it just goes straight to the globe thing at the end of the cart...

TBH, it's pretty big as well and isn't really suitable for what I have in mind so I'm still on the lookout for another one. Though, if anyone has any ideas to get this up and running I'm happy to try. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Oh wow. I've never even heard of the company Cloyvale Ltd. in all the years I've been collecting info on VIC-20 hardware.

Now that I see the board, it has more on-board logic than most --- so in your case, I suppose one of the ICs could be shot.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

The logic on it is pretty over the top compared to others I have seen. I think you're probably right in that an IC has died on it. I've no idea why it's so complicated. Still, it came with the other bits & pieces (including a boxed Stack Rifle :)).

I've never heard of the company either and looking around the intrawebs brings up not a thing! Maybe it was some we garage somewhere...

FYI: The full title on the board says: Cloyvale LTD. Ventnor. IOW
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Trip to Maplin, desolder the chips, fit DIL sockets and replace the 74LS?? address chips that they probably are.

Maybe I can take a look next week when we meet up
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Vic20-Ian wrote:Trip to Maplin, desolder the chips, fit DIL sockets and replace the 74LS?? address chips that they probably are.

Maybe I can take a look next week when we meet up
I'd need a decent soldering iron first! But, yeah, I could bring it along and let you have a look if you like. :)
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Bump!

Still looking. :)
shem
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by shem »

hey Pedro

What is wrong with the blue cart expander you have I thought you were gonna get it fixed
I'll take my cart to go thank you ;)
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Hasn't happened yet. It's a bit of a beast anyway - it's huge! I'm just looking for something a little smaller and a little simpler.
shem
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by shem »

Hey Pedro

You should sell it me I'll fix it :D
I'll take my cart to go thank you ;)
dave01253
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by dave01253 »

He will ! Shem is a Lord of the Iron