Gamebase20 version 2!

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Sorry, no. Osgorth bought the last (?) VIC-20 box I owned. Actually, except for the logotype printed on the box, it is almost impossible to distinguish a Commodore release from a Handic release.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Next on the agenda... looking for fully complete and working versions of:

Alien Hunter (Abrasco)
Android Attack (Abrasco)
Arrow of Death (bugged, inventory is corrupt)
Gotcha (complete screen 1 and it errors with out of memory statement)
Jatzee (get out of memory error on line 1270)

Also is Star Post paddle control only? I could have sworn you can use joysticks but the images I have don't respond...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Mayhem wrote:Also is Star Post paddle control only? I could have sworn you can use joysticks but the images I have don't respond...
It seems a vice bug, starting it from a real vic it allow to use the joy and the paddle 1.

You don't need to select which control you want to use, it auto recognize the joy/paddle and this maybe the problem since VICE doesn't emulate paddles yet.

If you start the game by using fire/joy left/right all is ok (on real hardware) but when you switch to a paddle and after again to a joy it doesn't recognize the joy anymore.

Tested on real hardware using the Zimmer image.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Cheers for that. Vice does support paddles through the Stelladapter, so perhaps I'll give that a while and see if anything responds.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Mayhem wrote:...Vice does support paddles through the Stelladapter, ...
Really??? :shock:

By all means, please tell me how!
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

It works for joysticks definitely in Vice, but I'm almost certain I tried paddles with it ages ago and it worked too...

But yeah, get your Stelladaptor (not sure where you'll find one currently as it's still sold out at AtariAge), plug into USB port, connect paddles, fire up Vice and load a game that requires paddles. Go into the joystick options and you can choose Stelladapter as the control method. Then start game :)

I will endevour to give it a try on a Vic20 game that supports paddles... something like Sky Is Falling, or Seawolf?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Mayhem wrote:It works for joysticks definitely in Vice, but I'm almost certain I tried paddles with it ages ago and it worked too...

But yeah, get your Stelladaptor (not sure where you'll find one currently as it's still sold out at AtariAge), plug into USB port, connect paddles, fire up Vice and load a game that requires paddles. Go into the joystick options and you can choose Stelladapter as the control method. Then start game :)

I will endevour to give it a try on a Vic20 game that supports paddles... something like Sky Is Falling, or Seawolf?
I tried using the Stelladaptor withg paddles. One paddle becomes the X axis and the other, the Y axis. VICE only recognises that as two axes of a joystick with a 50% threshold, not as real paddles... :cry:
Macguyver
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Gamebase20 version 2!

Post by Macguyver »

Hey Mayhem,

What's the release status of the great Gamebase V2? I get the feeling from your recent postings that you're getting pretty close...

Macguyver
Mayhem wrote: Firstly I should say that phase one is now complete. Phase two is now in operation, whereby I get people to assist and fix things I can't get working currently. Phase three in due time will be asking people submit information and games I don't have currently, but please wait, I will announce when that is now active!
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah I'm skipping phase three until the next edition now.

I'm just waiting on a few more tiny fixes to programs (I'll nudge NBLA) and it might be ready to roll. I'd want to test install it somewhere to make sure everything is correct though hah hah... and I'll be probably including some simple instructions to follow.

Of course it might get all thrown in the air slightly if I get laid off this month cos I'm working on GB20 on my work provided laptop...
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
At least your laptop is getting used for something fun... :)

Like a lot of things recently (it's a great time to be into Commodore 8 bits!) I'm really looking forward to this. Now, if only we had a great emulator to go with all your hard work! :P
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Vice has hiccups with a few programs; NBLA and I got around a couple of cartridges locking up under hard reset (which is how Vice is started via the Gamebase interface) when soft reset is okay by creating disk images and having a small loader to boot the code and execute instead. Bandits obviously doesn't work properly after a while so I've been led to believe. Some of the OEM games will require a soft reset after starting to get them to work (as noted in the entry).

99.5% of the games do seem to be fine, baring any bugs, glitches and control issues I've failed to notice. I've been working off v1.22 of Vice for this and I will include that version of the emulator in the full download package. However I will grab v2.0 and v2.1 if I can and test them to make sure nothing is awry with either of those.
Macguyver
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Macguyver »

Good work on getting a few more programs working and great to hear that things are close for the next release! I do think that we should ensure that the next release works with the 2.1 version of VICE, if possible. Can't wait!

Macguyver
Mayhem wrote:Vice has hiccups with a few programs; NBLA and I got around a couple of cartridges locking up under hard reset (which is how Vice is started via the Gamebase interface) when soft reset is okay by creating disk images and having a small loader to boot the code and execute instead. Bandits obviously doesn't work properly after a while so I've been led to believe. Some of the OEM games will require a soft reset after starting to get them to work (as noted in the entry).

99.5% of the games do seem to be fine, baring any bugs, glitches and control issues I've failed to notice. I've been working off v1.22 of Vice for this and I will include that version of the emulator in the full download package. However I will grab v2.0 and v2.1 if I can and test them to make sure nothing is awry with either of those.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Mayhem wrote:...Bandits obviously doesn't work properly after a while so I've been led to believe. ...
Bandits is very demanding on cycle exact emulation.

In VICE, after a minute or two of emulation, the screen fills with garbage.
Be normal.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Hm yes, Bandits breaks due to some core bug in VICE that the developers are aware of. It affects both VIC and C64 emulation, but I believe it is too complex to tackle on an afternoon though, thus previously not fixed. I don't know if the most recent versions have tried to solve it.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

UPDATE: All known programs working afaik. Aside from those already mentioned with detected issues.

I suppose this means I'd better draw a line somewhere for new additions and start to work on an installer package so people can put everything on their own PCs ;)