playing with cross-assemblers

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

jokker
Vic 20 Newbie

playing with cross-assemblers

Post by jokker »

Hi All,

So I'm new to VIC-20 asm stuff and I've been messing with CC65 and DASM trying to get this little interrupt handler going but I can't seem to load it properly in VICE

irq.asm
processor 6502
org $033c

sei
lda #$49
sta $314
lda #$03
sta $315
cli
rts
lda 203
sta $1e00
lda #0
sta $9600
jmp $eabf

So just this example I found on the net that I didn't think was too hard to play with
http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/i ... errupt.php

I can get it to assemble into a proper block of code and even verify the first byte is the right load address, however I load it up with load"irq",8 and when I look at the contents of memory at $033c I don't see the instructions..

So I figure I missing something and heck maybe a few things that I'm sure all those more up to speed could point out to me!

Thanks in advance
_Troy
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

To load non relocatable code, you must use load "name",8,1
Is use load "name",8 the system asume the start of basic as init of load
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

LOAD "your.prg",8,1
SYS 828

All that interrupt-driver routine is going to do is keep a fixed character stored on the screen's home position... assuming it is an unexpanded VIC 20 (3583 bytes free). If running xvic emulator, pass it the "-memory none" parameter, too.

FYI, $033C is the start of the VIC's cassette buffer memory... so don't use tape! ;^)
jokker
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by jokker »

Thanks for the tip!

I got it backwards, I though without the ,1 was for loading non-relocatable code...

Yeah that's basically all I wanted as a starting point to learn from, expand upon and so forth. I done enough of the readying but now it's time put things into practice and starting writing some code!