Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Mikam73
2049er

Got 1541 Ultimate friday

Post by Mikam73 »

http://www.1541ultimate.net/content/

Hey.. This is really cool device.

I have used MMC64 and Ide64 before, but things have never been this easy. Sure MMC64 is easy to used with single files, but when there is multifile games etc things wont work anymore. With ultimate you just copy D64 files to directorys, mount D64 image as disc and then load"*",8,1 or load "$",8. Like real disc and it just works, like real 1541. 1541 Ultimate is connected to cartridge port and from this cart comes cable to discdrive port, Its like small 1541 that does support memorycard and D64 images from it. Cart comes with different fastload cartridges like Actior Replay or Final Cartridge III, it also has C64 memory addon cartridges included so if you want run GEOS or other memoryhungry softwares you can have C64 with huge memory. Yes. Geos and Contiki work directly from D64 image and if you want use other Geos discs, but just press button at cartridge and choise other D64 image like Geos Utils + return and there you go.. What can I say, this thing is good, I did already carry my 1541 out of my table. You can also use Ultimate with stand alone mode with other Commodore computers that same same disedrive connector as C64, like Vic20, C16 and others. I think it wrks with 128 directly. When you use it with Vic20, there is little usb connector that you can use to feed power to cartridge and just connect cable. I havent tryed this yet. But what can I say.. This device is really cool. I did choise one with ethernet connector and use 8GB SCHC memorycard. Feels unreal, really.
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Got mine on friday, too. Now I have to go and buy a SD card and a USB card reader to fill it... I hope this is as cool as I think it is :-)
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Its cool 8)

Now I would love to get ethernet connection work somehow..

Tryed Contiki, no luck yet and light at my ADSL modem is orange, it should be green.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Glad to hear you guys got your 1541 Ultimates. You're going to love them. You might be interested in the VIC-20 file browser for the 1541U which offers a user interface like that of the 1541U and, amongst other things, allows you to select BASIC load addresses. You can read more about it here and/or download it directly from here.

Note: Those links may be available only to registered 1541U users.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

I've had mine now for almost two weeks and it's really, really great :-)

Golan: You don't need to own a 1541U to register on the site, but perhaps that's not what you meant.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Bacon wrote:Golan: You don't need to own a 1541U to register on the site, but perhaps that's not what you meant.
I meant that you might not be able to visit those links if you're not registered at the 1541U forums.
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

Hey I got mine on friday too : D now I only have to find a small USB cable like that to get it working
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Iltanen wrote:Hey I got mine on friday too : D now I only have to find a small USB cable like that to get it working
Or you can power it from your C64 :wink:
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

That's what I do. Plug the 1541 Ultimate into a 64 and connect it to your VIC-20 via IEC. The 64 provides power and the nice d64 selection menu etc. and the VIC sees it as device #8. The 1541U is much more usable this way than in 'stand alone' mode.
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

Oh boy, was I dumb. It's working like a dream!
Badders
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Badders »

gklinger wrote:Glad to hear you guys got your 1541 Ultimates. You're going to love them. You might be interested in the VIC-20 file browser for the 1541U which offers a user interface like that of the 1541U and, amongst other things, allows you to select BASIC load addresses. You can read more about it here and/or download it directly from here.

Note: Those links may be available only to registered 1541U users.
I've downloaded the newest version and it works fantastic. I was really struggling with the 1541U+ in standalone mode, was getting there but this makes it as easy as cartridge mode on the C64!!

Excellent work.

Pete.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Still waiting on mine. But it's good to know that the latest batch is on their way out now. :)

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice the dates of the earlier posts. My excitement got the better of me... :oops:

PS: Still waiting!