Special Vic 20 project

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

8bitweapon
Vic 20 Newbie

Special Vic 20 project

Post by 8bitweapon »

Im looking into developing a special music cart for the vic 20. If you are interested, I will go into more detail after you email me.

I need some one to program the software, as I am no programmer.

Would any of you be interested in with me on this project?

Please contact me here: 8bwinfo@gmail.com

Thank you!

-Seth :)
www.8bitweapon.com
Wonder-Boy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wonder-Boy »

Just curious, but what will your part be in the project?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Shouldn't 8bitweapon be in Sweden or Europe at the moment?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Perhaps he does the hardware: designing, layouting, manufacturing. Would a such cartridge also come with a MIDI interface, or should it simply be a composer program for the built-in sound capacities?

I reckon Daniel Kahlin might be interested to adopt his vic-tracker. Otherwise I dunno what resources you have.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Re: Special Vic 20 project

Post by RobertBe »

Hi, Seth,
Nice to see you here on the Forum.
8bitweapon wrote:Im looking into developing a special music cart for the vic 20. If you are interested, I will go into more detail after you email me.
How did it go with the Synthesound music cart that you picked up at CommVEx v3? Are you thinking of modifying/improving it so that it can be used in your concerts?

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
8bitweapon
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by 8bitweapon »

HI,

I was just looking for a cart to be able to play the vic20 live on stage with. The synthasound cart is almost totally useless in a live situation because of the time it takes to properly change the decay of the sound you play. I dont have time to program the sound nor the space for a monitor to see what im doing. Midi would be awesome of course, but i can play the vic20/c64 keys like a piano just fine.

I dont know hardware or software, im a power user. lol

I think many folks would love an easy to use music cart for studio or live! It would be great it its key layout and commands were the same as music machine for the c64.

Thank you all for reading! :)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Oh man, you have no idea how much I'd love to see a scaled-down Prophet-64 type cartridge for the VIC. Just not sure there is enough user interest to inspire anyone to actually create one.
davidv_
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by davidv_ »

ral-clan wrote:Oh man, you have no idea how much I'd love to see a scaled-down Prophet-64 type cartridge for the VIC. Just not sure there is enough user interest to inspire anyone to actually create one.
I started a VIC MIDI Synth cart with the help of Eslapion, based around this schematic : http://members.aol.com/templarseries/maplin.html

Ive got basic MIDI input working in 6502 ASM , but the project is pretty much at a stand still.
The goal is/was to also to allow the C64 Keyboard overlay on it, which on top of feeding the VIC chip, would also output to MIDI out. (what a cool retro MIDI controller :)

But frankly the major reason why i abandoned it is that you can get square wavs that are much more tunable to musical scales using other chips out there... and time.... yeah theres the rapid changing of registers to approximate tune-ness... but that just silly
8bitweapon
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by 8bitweapon »

davidv_ wrote:Ive got basic MIDI input working in 6502 ASM , but the project is pretty much at a stand still.
The goal is/was to also to allow the C64 Keyboard overlay on it, which on top of feeding the VIC chip, would also output to MIDI out. (what a cool retro MIDI controller :)
Wow if you madea midi cart that also allowed you to play the vic20 live that would be soo dope!!! Tuning smooning...it would rock in its own special way!
8bitweapon
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by 8bitweapon »

davidv_ wrote:Ive got basic MIDI input working in 6502 ASM , but the project is pretty much at a stand still.
Wow if you made a midi cart that also allowed you to play the vic20 live that would be soo dope!!! Tuning-schmooning...it would rock in its own special way!
8bitweapon
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by 8bitweapon »

Wow if you made a midi cart that also allowed you to play the vic20 live that would be soo dope!!!

Tuning-schmooning...it would rock in its own special way!
davidv_
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by davidv_ »

Hi

All good in theory. but no ADSR on a VIC, only a global 16 level global volume ... So if you want envs you only get software emulated EG and monophonic sound.

Two interesting things on the VIC would be the viznut waveforms tied to vibrato. There are interesting vibrato effects in this app:

http://www.6502dude.com/cbm/vic20/arma/ ... esizer.jpg

Few ideas could be lifted from it.

Its just that i need to do 5 or 10 other "real" VSTis (commercial) so time is limited.