Ethics in Games

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Ethics in Games

Post by Jeff-20 »

I had an idea for a game with an ethical issue. It involved shooting a dog or a police officer. Would you have problems playing a game with behavior you find morally repulsive? Even if the overall meaning of the game is not?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
PaulQ
undead vic

Re: Ethics in Games

Post by PaulQ »

Jeff-20 wrote:I had an idea for a game with an ethical issue. It involved shooting a dog or a police officer. Would you have problems playing a game with behavior you find morally repulsive? Even if the overall meaning of the game is not?
If it means shooting pigs dressed in LAPD uniforms, I don't see the problem... :wink: (reference: Duke Nukem 3D).

Honestly, if it's just a game, what's the harm?
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I don't think the European or the American Parents Association will have anything to complain about - in this case the platform is WAY too old, and so are the players... :wink:
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

I didn't have any problems with the pigs in uniform, but I can't say that I've come to grips with Grand Theft Auto. Maybe having kids has changed my outlook somewhat.
Last edited by hawk on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

No, it's just a game. I still hope it's not as bad as Atari games : D Custer's Revenge anyone?
Last edited by Iltanen on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

As long as Jeff doesn't mix those games and makes one where you need to have sex with a dog. :oops:
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

No. It's a game and therefore a fantasy.

I guess this is an old debate both in games and in movies. For all the controversy of the past, I cannot offhand think of a single game or movie promoting a bad ethics - even if they are explicit in some ways in depicting characters with bad ethics.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Generally, games that require you to do something really vile leave a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't play them.

If it's an Ultima type game, and a wild dog or rat attacks you, okay then I will fight them.

But those first-person shoots where you just kill everything and there's lots of blood...I usually pass on those.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

ral-clan wrote:Generally, games that require you to do something really vile leave a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't play them.
Personally, I have not seen any like that, but if I did I would likely have the same reaction - just leave them aside.

I have even played games where one is a gangster or criminal etc, but it is clear that one is playing the bad guy and thus do not encourage bad ethics.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Wonder-Boy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wonder-Boy »

@Jeff-20
Yes, but if it fit the character, say it was a mafia member following a mafia code of ethics, then it would be fine in my opinion.
Our holy mission is doomed to succeed
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I have no problem with the dog or cop thing but if you bring cats into it I'll be out front picketing before you know what happened. :)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

Is better not kill animals or polices in the games, but a game is a GAME not real life.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

gklinger wrote:I have no problem with the dog or cop thing but if you bring cats into it I'll be out front picketing before you know what happened. :)
I take it, you don't like this game then...
http://www.addictinggames.com/killakitty2.html

:wink:
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I feel slightly rotten when I have to kill the "Filthy Looking Street Urchin" in Amiga Moria (Angband / Rogue variation). :lol:

The only game I can think of where ethics are central to the game-play was Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar. Behaving according to a code of ethics was central to the game. Deviating from this code could be done, but it was detrimental to the character's development.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_IV
The object of the game is to focus on the main character's development in virtuous life, and become a spiritual leader and an example to the people of the world of Britannia. The game follows the protagonist's struggle to understand and exercise the Eight Virtues. After proving his or her understanding in each of the virtues, locating several artifacts and finally descending into the dungeon called the Stygian Abyss to gain access to the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom, the protagonist becomes an Avatar.