I can't believe it! A Boxed C16 for $25!

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

I too must admit to a certain infatuation with the Commodore 16, but with so few other users and its limitations I have stayed away from those few opportunities I have had to get one.

Right now I really am nuturing my relationship with the VIC 20 and fighting my urge to get a C64. We'll see how that goes.

Honest question, however: if you have both a VIC and C64 and can master programming them both, especially in MLX, is there any advantage in having a C16? (Besides the fact it looks cool.)
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Sdw
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Sdw »

I have a C64, a VIC-20 and a Plus/4. Though I most experience coding the C64, I have been playing around a bit with the VIC and Plus/4 as well, and I have to say that all platforms their own charm when it comes to creating stuff for them.
The nice thing about the 264s (C16/C116/Plus4) is of course the 121 colors!
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Ah, yes, pitcalco, as Sdw mentions, they have 121 colours. Don't let its style and disk drive compatibility fool you; the Commodore 16 is a completely different breed of computer. It's unlike any Commodore computer you will encounter. It has a much more powerful BASIC version 3.5 (with commands for sounds and 320x200 bitmapped graphics), and featured basic program tracing/debugging functions.

It really was a nice effort, but unfortunately Commodore really skimped on the memory. Nobody was buying anything with just 16k by the time it came out.