What Game is Vic-20 or Vic-20 is What Game?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

What Game is Vic-20 or Vic-20 is What Game?

Post by hawk »

:?: I'd like to know what game people think of when they think of Vic-20 games, or conversly, what game makes them think of the Vic-20.

Is there any one game that is synonymous with the Vic-20?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Vic-20 = Gridrunner

Omega Race = Vic-20
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

When I think of VIC-20 games I immediately think of Gorf (it was the first game I played on a VIC-20) and the game I most equate with the VIC-20 is the same one Jeff picked: Omega Race.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Omega Race, Jupiter Lander, Scramble, Rat Race

(Which is a line in a song of mine btw ;) )
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

VIC -> game: Gridrunner or Omega Race

Game -> VIC: Metagalactic Llamas

It is an interesting and difficult question. I put Omega Race in the first rather than the second category because it really is an arcade game, not unique to the VIC but one of the most playable ones.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

There's some interesting results here. Obviously Omega Race is a common one, which is interesting in that it is a monochrome Hires game, not making use of the colour features of the computer at all.

I should point out that for me, the game that I think of when I think of the Vic-20 is Choplifter.

Not having a Vic-20 when they were new, Choplifter was the first game I saw on my friend's Vic-20. It was also the first time I had seen Choplifter at all.

What's interesting about the Choplifter implementation is that it is a Hires game, that uses the background attribute for the details, and the character attribute for the background colour, providing multiple colours on screen.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

It's Omega Race for me too.

Omega Race for the VIC was a great port of the arcade game.

In Canada, it was practically a pack-in cartridge. The Canadian "Vicessories" pack which was bundled in a sale with many VIC-20s included this cartridge. That's probably why a lot of Canadians think of the VIC-20 when they think of this game.
Wonder-Boy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wonder-Boy »

I think of Avenger, because it's a good game and on a classic VIC-20 cartridge. I know it is a version of Space Invaders, but I played the VIC-20 version more.
ArugulaZ
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by ArugulaZ »

Gotta be Gorf and Omega Race. It's a damn shame that the version of Wizard of Wor advertised on the back of the VIC-20's box was never released... I'm sure it would have been every bit as good.
SCREW BEAR
Bear is so startled that he falls off cliff.

http://kiblitzing.blogspot.com/
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Omega Race, Amok, Shamus. All of them belong in both categories for me.

I didn't know that Omega Race was an arcade game; I've only ever played it on the VIC.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Anders Carlsson

Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

It's Omega Race and Sargon Chess for me
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

As a related note, I'm in charge of setting up a VIC-20 as one of eight classic gaming systems. At first we planned to host three or four games per system. After reviewing this thread combined with my personal likes and the attraction to the general audience, this is my list:

Gridrunner
Omega Race
Shamus
Frogger 2007 (!!)

Yes, I consider Victragic's homebrew to be one of the best VIC-20 arcade games ever, also shown at a previous event where it was one of few games that made people stop and play it.

Now we changed our minds and cut down to one (1) game per system. Out goes Shamus and Frogger, but the question is which of Gridrunner (AMC) or Omega Race I should put on the VIC. After reading the comments in this thread, I think I'll stick with Omega Race.

We also have a C64 to equip with some suitable game, not yet decided.. perhaps we could play Gridrunner on that one, but there are more typical C64 games that that. It is good though if it is a cartridge sized game.
Anders Carlsson