What computer/videogame stuff have you found in the garbage?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

@eslapion

just remember to advertise the amigas, so people that want to pay can get them.....
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I took the liberty of splitting the off-topic stuff into its own thread which can be found here. Sorry Jeff, I stole your "dumping ground" name because it makes me giggle. :)

Perhaps the two dumping ground threads should be merged into a single one into which these types of discussions can be moved?
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

moved...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I want to join the local freecycle group, but they insist you get email alerts via Yahoo groups. For EVERY single item. Around 30 to 200 emails everyday. I tried to turn off the emails, but they don't allow it.

I know I could just set up another email address, but I would probably forget to check it.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Contents of this message moved when I realised the thread had been split. Moderator please delete.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Jeff-20 wrote:I know I could just set up another email address, but I would probably forget to check it.
That's what I did.

When I remember to read messages, I just read the past day or two and delete the rest.

I have been able to get rid of a bunch of stuff that is still useful to others.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Jeff-20 wrote:I want to join the local freecycle group, but they insist you get email alerts via Yahoo groups. For EVERY single item. Around 30 to 200 emails everyday. I tried to turn off the emails, but they don't allow it.

I know I could just set up another email address, but I would probably forget to check it.
Not exactly true. You can change the settings for a Yahoo group to receive individual postings OR a daily digest. This daily digest is a single message at the end of the day containing all the postings for the day. It really cuts down on the amount of separate e-mails coming from the Freecycle group.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

ral-clan wrote: Not exactly true. You can change the settings for a Yahoo group to receive individual postings OR a daily digest. This daily digest is a single message at the end of the day containing all the postings for the day. It really cuts down on the amount of separate e-mails coming from the Freecycle group.
I did that. I put it on no email about 20 times. For some reason it works for the day and resets the very next day to email alert. I got frustrated with it and canceled.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I set up filters in Outlook so everything that comes from the Freecycle goes to its own folder. It makes it very easy and convenient to scan through the items, and to erase all the Freecycle messages afterwards.

In fact, I don't think I could use email without filters anymore.
Luzur
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Luzur »

a friend of mine who worked at the local dump here where i live saved alot of retro stuff, a PET 8032-SK fully working and with a disc drive and printer, a boxed Amiga 500 and boxed external diskdrive (1040? cant remember the numbers.), a C64GS with joystick and Last Ninja Remix cart (and in my stupidity i didnt take it from him, so he sold it quit cheaply a week later), a boxed unopened american SNES, and like 5-6 loose NES systems and 2 bags of games/pads, 2-3 G&W's along with a Marios Cement Factory Tabletop.

me myself have rescued 1 NES, 2 C64's, a boxed Amiga 500 (Starterpack), a boxed 1541, 1 sega master system with Alex Kidd, and 2 bags of VHS movies with alot of classics. :)
"Are you keeping up with Commodore? cuz Commodore is keeping up with you!" ;)

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Both the TRS-80 and the VIC-20CR seem to work just fine, after cleaning.

I have no use for the TRS-80, so I'd like to offer it up to someone who needs it and can pay the postage.

I'm not sure I even need the VIC-20 (I already have seven!). If there's anyone out there with a sad story regarding his or her need for a VIC, I might be persuaded to send it to that person.

If you even want to trade for an old Compute! magazine or something, that would be great.
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

I've found nothing but some computer books.. very boring ones. Mainly manuals for obsolete software. No hardware, a smashed PS1 controller which someone had tried to eat is my best find.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

I found an Apple ][ clone one time with external floppy drive.

The power supply was 240vac.
It wasn't worth time & effort for me to replace it with 120 unit to test it.

So, I scrapped it for parts.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Yesterday I found a Vectrex in the garbage! It was sitting on its side on top of a pile of garbage waiting to be picked up - in the rain.

It's not all rosy though: there was no controller, and the power cord was cut off - making me suspect that it's broken.

However, even a broken Vectrex is worth picking up considering these are fairly scarce systems - the custom chips and the special picture tube alone are worth keeping for spare parts.

I'll let it dry out entirely and attach a new power cord to see if it is indeed broken.

I suppose because I already have a couple Vectrexes I was pretty calm about finding it. A few years ago I would have been jumping up and down with excitement. Actually, I got my second Vectrex about two years ago at a garage sale with five games for five dollars! That was pretty cool.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I love my vectrex! I don't understand why interest in the system seems to be waning. Even eBay prices have dramatically dropped.