Vini Vidi VIC!

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Vini Vidi VIC!

Post by Jeff-20 »

You all should know the famous VIC demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxny-mqB4f8

At the 2:55 mark, there's an interesting effect. I could imagine the rotation effects could be achieved by rapidly reading the image in the adjacent locations. The monochromatic effect is interesting to me because it appears to be random. How is it done?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Wow!

I'm impressed.

Will demo run on NTSC machine?
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
a1bert
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: Vini Vidi VIC!

Post by a1bert »

Jeff-20 wrote:At the 2:55 mark, there's an interesting effect. I could imagine the rotation effects could be achieved by rapidly reading the image in the adjacent locations. The monochromatic effect is interesting to me because it appears to be random. How is it done?
You mean the plasma effect? It can be made in different ways. It can be a map that is color-cycled and panned (I had this in VIMM), but each location can also be a function of X and Y and other parameters can be varied over time (in VIMMII because of the limited memory of the unexpanded machine).

I don't remember what system VVV used. See the VVV page (source codes, PAL and NTSC versions) at http://www.ktverkko.fi/~msmakela/8bit/vvv/index.en.html .

And how I made the plasma in VIMMII: http://www.iki.fi/a1bert/Pu-239/vimmii/ , see also http://www.iki.fi/a1bert/Pu-239/vimm/ .
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Why isn't VIMM on YouTube? That's the best vic-20 demo in my oppinion.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
a1bert
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by a1bert »

Boray wrote:Why isn't VIMM on YouTube? That's the best vic-20 demo in my oppinion.
No-one has bothered?:-) You're welcome to do the conversion.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

I remember that. It was pretty amazing, although it is a slight shame that the Latin was incorrect :?
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

a1bert wrote:
Boray wrote:Why isn't VIMM on YouTube? That's the best vic-20 demo in my oppinion.
:) Maybe I will do that some day then...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

I remember it was hard finding it from youtube, I searched for Veni, Vidi, VIC..
A great demo it is, I have absolutely no clue how to do those things. As amazing as the scroller in the end of Impossiblator 2
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

a1bert wrote:
I just recorded it to a DVD and am about to convert and upload it. What should I write as the credits on YouTube?

"Commodore Vic-20 demo by Pasi Ojala with music by Anders Carlsson"?
a1bert
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by a1bert »

Boray wrote:"Commodore Vic-20 demo by Pasi Ojala with music by Anders Carlsson"?
Sounds fine. Any chance for the sequel VIMMII too?:-)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Isn't it just the same but for unexpanded vic-20? All I remember is that there was a longer pause between the pictures in the slideshow and maybe a scroll less.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

By now I also got a video capture card, so I could start uploading stuff too.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Would it be possible to have videos in the Wiki or is that just too bandwidth hungry? :)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Looking at http://www.cs.tut.fi/~albert/Pu-239/vimmii/ ...seems to be more changes than I remembered... I can see if I find it on a diskette somewhere...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Pedro: Videos would need to be uploaded to YouTube or another site, although they probably can be linked into the Wiki. I don't know what kind of objects the wiki accepts, in this case a HTML Object containing a Flash movie player.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image