VIC-20 in popular culture

Discuss anything related to the VIC
carlsson
Class of '6502

VIC-20 in popular culture

Post by carlsson »

While browsing eBay, I found a few odd items:

Alternative Rock: Vic 20 Release Candidate (music CD)

Dance Techno/Electro: VIC 20 & SINCLAIR: Nikita (33 rpm vinyl)

Did anyone already observe those? It seems VIC-20 has become a popular term in at least some genres of the music culture. Both are relatively fair priced, so I'm almost tempted to buy them.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I've found a couple of reviews for both:
Vic 20 - Release Candidate (review by Pete)

Vic 20 is a NYC old school metal band that has stayed true to it's roots. Release Candidate is full length cd with top notch production and a great booklet with lyrics and pics of the band. These guys mix up a style of good old school metal like Overkill, along with eerie vocal harmonies like Alice in Chains. Scotty Mac on guitar plays some tasty licks and adds some killer harmony stuff to give Vic 20 a distinctive sound.

I've had the privilege to see these guys live and they put on one hell of a show. They've got plenty of energy and got the crowd into it big time. This band has proven that with lots of hard work and keeping true to your old school roots, pays off with the respect of others.
Vic 20 & Sinclair
New Single "Nikita"
Original Mix
Jamez Mix
Release Date: 26th February

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the new Future Groove release - a debut offering from Vic20 & Sinclair. Taking their moniker from a love of old computers and technology, the duo have actually released several tunes in a more house orientated style before turning their hand to something a bit chunkier –which describes Nikita to a T.

Opening up with fat beats with a hint of acid, funky stabs shuffle up into the mix before a huge bass arrives to drive it along. Nothing obvious here - evolving acid lines, snippets of vocal, nice dub FX, Nikita is a slammin' club cut to keep the floors rockin'.

The remix of Nikita comes courtesy of Jamez, from Touche Recordings, a label of fantastic quality and consistence since the mid Nineties. Alongside studio partner Dobre, Jamez is responsible for Trancesetters, Jark Prongo, Tata Box Inhibitors and The Goodmen, amongst many, many others.

Needless to say, his remix is an expertly crafted rendition with all the hallmarks of classic Touche; layers of lush melody, utilising the stabs, pads and vocals, constantly building over a pneumatic groove that sounds phenomenal over a big system. Already a firm favourite with John Digweed in his club sets and his Kiss Radio shows, this mix looks like it’ll be weaving its web over the coming winter months.
Of course, both of them have nothing to do with the VIC-20, except from a "love for old technology". I'd rather buy a "I-love-my-VIC-or-something" T-shirt.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

It's marketing. They assume (somewhat rightly) that those who had a VIC-20 as a kid will be the right demographic now to potentially like their music.
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

I've seen that VIC & Sinclair record on ebay.. I'd like to hear what it sounds like. I don't think they're using VIC-sounds although it might sound good in electronic music.

Download some of Aleksi Eeben's music: http://www.cncd.fi/aeeben/ I haven't yet noticed VIC sounds in his solo productions but at least there's the Desert planet song:

Breakout Button (featuring Aleksi Eeben with Commodore Vic-20 sounds)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Happy Birthday Iltanen. :D
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

Thank you, Jeff!

VICs are very hard to find in popular culture.. When have you last read about them in some magazine?

The summer 2007 issue of PIXEL, a greek gaming magazine devoted almost a page to the VIC and that's about the only time I've seen VIC in newer publications (not counting some very short mentions).
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Iltanen wrote:VICs are very hard to find in popular culture.. When have you last read about them in some magazine?
RETROGAMER, but I suppose it's not "pop culture"... 8)