New Release: GOMOKU

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

Iltanen wrote:Could there be an option so that the computer plays first? (I'd just like to see how it plays against itself : D)
sshhh don't tell anyone but a nasty sprite revealed me there's a secret key to make the VIC take ahead of a move, and thus can be forced to play against itself. But the sprite forgot to tell me which key!

Many people reported they are able to beat the computer quite easily at Gomoku, so it's possible that I release an updated version with a better playing strategy (I already know what strategy to use but it costs me lot of code).

And, talking of Robotic Liberation... I was really surprised when it started to "sing". :shock: I wonder what is the technology that's beyond that. Perhaps it could be useful in a "Berzerk" Vic-20 version ?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Well there's no reason why you can't better the strategy code within expanded (16k) memory limits now for a harder program. Maybe variable difficulty levels?

Now I'm okay at Gomoku and this gives me a hard challenge. I guess the others beating it easily are a lot better at the game!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

carlsson wrote:Yet again the C64 scene shows its ugly face, as someone has "cracked" Nippur's game. :evil: These "cool" people have tagged on a title screen with music and are so proud of themselves.
It isn't ugly; it's funny. Their pathetic attempt to show how cool they are has resulted in their proving how lame they are.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

nippur72 wrote:sshhh don't tell anyone but a nasty sprite revealed me there's a secret key to make the VIC take ahead of a move, and thus can be forced to play against itself. But the sprite forgot to tell me which key!
:D
Many people reported they are able to beat the computer quite easily at Gomoku, so it's possible that I release an updated version with a better playing strategy (I already know what strategy to use but it costs me lot of code).
Please leave this playing strategy using 2 computer levels if possible, "Normal" and "Hard".
I will thank you if there is an "Easy" Level for me too :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

sshhh don't tell anyone but a nasty sprite revealed me there's a secret key to make the VIC take ahead of a move, and thus can be forced to play against itself. But the sprite forgot to tell me which key!
I noticed that key.. I hope that wasn't a joke which I didn't get.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

Iltanen wrote:I noticed that key.. I hope that wasn't a joke which I didn't get.
I used that key to debug the playing strategy, but forget to remove it from the final release. BTW, notice how bad is the VIC to play vs himself, expecially the first move.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

There's a review of this in Retro Gamer #54.
They compliment the AI but are disappointed by the lack of frills/options (on the other platforms).
I'll post a pic later if someone doesn't beat me to it.
kelp7
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by kelp7 »

I noted on your webpage that you stopped improving the AI once it was beating you. How do you create AI in programs? I've often wondered this, but maybe it's too complex a subject to approach here...
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

kelp7 wrote:How do you create AI in programs? I've often wondered this, but maybe it's too complex a subject to approach here...
AI is a quite generic term, in the case of Gomoku it doesn't implies an "intelligent" thinking engine.

I just analyzed how the game is played, trying to categorize each move in set of known patterns. So I have "don't do" patterns, "win in one" patterns, "win in two" and so on.

Unfortunately with VIC-20 you don't have enough memory or processing speed to implement a good thinking engine, so the one I've implemented in my Gomoku has serious cut-down compromises. It analyzes only the basic patterns. Luckly, often this is enough to beat amateur players, so I'm happy with it.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

Kweepa wrote:I'll post a pic later if someone doesn't beat me to it.
:D thanks, I'm curious to read it
nippur72
de Lagash

Re: New Release: GOMOKU

Post by nippur72 »

ten years later, but I was able to find the review article (Retro Gamer #54, page 96).

Btw, I'm going to re-release this game with an improved AI and an option to make computer play first. Is anyone interested in trying the AI ?
rg54.jpg
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

The new improved AI beats http://www.gomokuonline.com :D
gomokuonlinecom.jpg
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

The new improved version of this game is now on GitHub: github.com/nippur72/gomoku

I improved the AI, fixed some bugs and refreshed the code.

Download the Vic 20 .PRG file

If you play with it, I am curious to know how good is the CPU against a real player. It beats me every time, the best I did was defeat after 30 turns.