A Newcommer's story.

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Comet
Vic 20 Newbie

A Newcommer's story.

Post by Comet »

Hi!

I am new to this forum (first post) and you could say I am new to the VIC 20 aswell, though that is not quite true..

20 years ago i remember banging on my brothers door in the basement yelling "I wanna play! i Wanna PLAY!!" sometimes he opened just to throw things at me like pencils and stuff. Yes I know, I was a pain in the ass.
He was 15 and I was 7.

Sometimes he let me in, and when he did I was SO excited!
It was mysterious and cozy there.. Dark..only the light from a TV picturing a fantastic universe where I could fly helicopter and even Spaceships!!!

Yes, my first encounter with a computer was this VIC thing.. Since then we had other machines aswell. I had a C-64 (still do) But now I want to find out more about this very special machine.

When I search the internet I find that much of the resources on the VIC 20 is specialized and involving much technical details. like the people in that community are programmers and so on.. I am willing to learn and right now i try to figure out ML commands for the 6502.. (I have a basic understanding of basic) So to the subject:

Where do I start and is there any beginners-guide to the VIC you would reccomend?

Allso: Can I use a C-64 powersupply for the VIC? how about the datasette or diskdrive?

Is there any very newbeeforums on the net i should post Q on? instead of bugging you people? :)

Thank's alot!!!

Comet
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ha ha! That was funny. I remember the flying pencils too! :lol:

I am thinking of how to answer... welcome!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Bacon
for breakfast

Re: A Newcommer's story.

Post by Bacon »

Comet wrote:Can I use a C-64 powersupply for the VIC? how about the datasette or diskdrive?
If your VIC has the round power plug you can use a C64 PSU (older VICs use a different power supply). The datassette and disk drive work on both computers. You can even make the disk drive work a little faster on the VIC than on the C64 by sending this command to the drive:

OPEN 15,8,15,"UI-":CLOSE 15
Is there any very newbeeforums on the net i should post Q on? instead of bugging you people? :)
Bug us all you want!
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

My brother was a little nicer! ;)
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Comet
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Comet »

Thank you Jeff-20, Bacon and Boray :)
If your VIC has the round power plug you can use a C64 PSU (older VICs use a different power supply). The datassette and disk drive work on both computers.
Great!! :) Makes it all so much easier!
OPEN 15,8,15,"UI-":CLOSE 15
Clever!
Bug us all you want!
I would love to! I'll do that from now.

Comet