Is it possible to go online the old way with a Vic?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

rwv01
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Is it possible to go online the old way with a Vic?

Post by rwv01 »

Is it still possible to go online or network the old way with a Vic?
Ie old hardware/software? Are there any online services that allow this?
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Do you mean BBS'ing?

All you need is a terminal program and a VIC or Commodore modem (or an RS232 interface and a modern external modem).

You then need to find a BBS that allows direct dial-up service (there are still some around - and some Sysops here on Denial).

The other way is to interface the VIC to a PC and use the PC to connect to the internet, and use the VIC as a sort of dumb terminal.
rwv01
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by rwv01 »

Yes, that's what I meant, thanks.
What exactly makes a modern modem necessary? ISP protocol requirements?

Also, is it possible to have two Vics communicate with each other
through modems or in some other way?
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Well, if you are just logging onto an old style text only BBS, even a Commodore 300 baud modem is fine.

You don't need a modern modem (like a USRobotics 56K) at all, but they may be easier to find than an older Commodore modem. With an RS232 interface they can be hooked to a VIC-20 and will still operate at 300 to 2400 baud speeds if needed.

Usually, though, original Commodore VIC-20/C64 modems are plentiful and cheap on Ebay (nobody wants them like they do cartridges). These plug straight into the USER port.

I think you can interface several VICs via the USER port, but you would need to write or find software to make them communicate.
Last edited by ral-clan on Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

You'd need to find an ISP that offers "shell" opr "terminal" access.

Jim
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Lee Davidson many years ago created an ISA interface and some TCP/IP stack that let him connect a VIC-20 directly to Ethernet. You might be able to find that old thread. I think Ruud also made some ISA interface with similar functionality but it is far from a ready-made product. Perhaps it would be possible to develop something similar to the various C64 Ethernet solutions, if there was enough demand. TCP/IP stack(s) and simple software like text based web browser exists in theory in Contiki, but it poses a problem with memory requirements.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

You could also use an RS232 adapter and something like the Lantronix UDS10/100 like many C64 users do.
Stinky
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Stinky »

UDS10 operates like a modem, transparently working with existing C= serial and terminals. BBS like yesterday!
Doppleganger
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Doppleganger »

Or, try an EZ-232 interface, plugged into the User port. Find whatever terminal program you prefer, and use TCPSer or BBS Server to telnet out thru a PC. As long as you have a PC in the same room as the Vic, you'll be able to do it....
-Jay
Vic-20 User Since 1982'ish.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

By the way.. Is there pics of Vic20 terminal or Vic20 terminal connected to BBS etc?

I have never seen Vic online 8)
wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by wiskow »

Schema wrote:You could also use an RS232 adapter and something like the Lantronix UDS10/100 like many C64 users do.
Lantronix recently released a new model, the UDS1100... I'm not sure if it has any benefit to Commodore users over the older models though.
Mikam73 wrote:By the way.. Is there pics of Vic20 terminal or Vic20 terminal connected to BBS etc?

I have never seen Vic online 8)
I haven't taken any... But I could. :)

I actually just set up a new BBS yesterday, running on one of my C64's with a program called ICE BBS v1.1. This is an ASCII-only BBS program from 1987, inspired by C-Net. In the user setup, you can define your screen width from 22-80 charachters. So this would be a great BBS for VIC-20 users to try out! You can Telnet to it at cottonwood.servebbs.com:6400 using VICTERM I or another ASCII-capable terminal program. I'll try taking a couple photos of my VIC-20 "online" with this BBS and post them here. :)

-Andrew
Cottonwood BBS & Borderline BBS
http://cottonwoodbbs.dyndns.org
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Thanks 8)
wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by wiskow »

Okay... Here are some photos I just shot of "going online" with my VIC-20, calling Cottonwood II, which is running on my C64 via Telnet...

First, here's the startup screen for my unexpanded VIC-20 with JiffyDOS installed:

Then, I loaded up VICTERM I (which I copied to a disk earlier from the original cassette that came with the VICMODEM), and I typed in the command to call Cottonwood II:

I made the connection, signed in, and then got the BBS's welcome screen:
(notice that the date says it's 1988... that's because the BBS software allows you to enter a year from 86 - 99. I set it 20 years back... That way, I'll be good to go for another 11 years. ;) )

I went into the e-mail subsystem... I have 1 message waiting. :)

After reading my e-mail, I went in to the bulletin section to check for messages:

Cyberjank was nice enough to be my "guinea pig" for this software, and here's a message he posted in the bulletins:

That's it! I hope you enjoyed those. :)

-Andrew
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

You should try it with one of the 40 (or 80) column terminal programs.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
wiskow
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by wiskow »

gklinger wrote:You should try it with one of the 40 (or 80) column terminal programs.
Do you know of one that works with an unexpanded VIC-20? I'm going to have to get myself one of Eslapion's expanders... :)

-Andrew