My Amiga 2000

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

DigitalQuirk wrote:According to the 2090 FAQ, anything that has more than 524288 logical blocks won't work.

You wouldn't happen to have a different Amiga SCSI controller also collecting dust, would you? :wink:
OMG!!! :shock: :shock: You're not telling me you've put one of those miserable A2090 SCSI controllers in your machine!

You need a 2091 or better!

Unfortunately, no, I don't have a spare controller like that to offer.

I saw item 140106635289 on eBay but its 95$ US and it doesn't even have ROMs V7.0 on it.

Software Hut advertises this : http://www.softhut.com/cgi-bin/test/Web ... 9474_68785
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

I probably have a spare 2091....
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I understand the benefits of a 2091, but they're not that great for me to shell out $75 for one! For my needs, I'm further ahead spending $5-$10 on a used SCSI drive at the local flea market.

Honestly, I think the 2090's got a bum rap...but I certainly won't turn down a 2091 for a good price! :wink:

One advantage the 2090's have is the fact that they will control an MFM/RLL drive along with a SCSI one; this really mattered to me back when one could pick up the old MFM/RLL drives for nothing. Unfortunately, my 20MB drive failed a long time ago... :cry:
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Let me know if you need a 50 pin SCSI drive. I've got some 1, 2 and 4.3ish GB drives. I really should put together a list of crap and post it once and for all.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

gklinger wrote:Let me know if you need a 50 pin SCSI drive. I've got some 1, 2 and 4.3ish GB drives.
Yeah, I found that out a bit late :)

The 1 GB Quantum I bought for $10 in Toronto (what was the name of that shop again, Golan?) worked fine in my CMD HD once I moved one of those tiny jumpers on the drive to "TE". So, I'm happy.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

DigitalQuirk wrote:One advantage the 2090's have is the fact that they will control an MFM/RLL drive along with a SCSI one; this really mattered to me back when one could pick up the old MFM/RLL drives for nothing. Unfortunately, my 20MB drive failed a long time ago... :cry:
You also have to enter manually the cylinder, head and sector numbers manually, I think.

Anyways, my offer for a free 600MB 50 pin SCSI drive still holds. If you want it.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

eslapion wrote: You also have to enter manually the cylinder, head and sector numbers manually, I think.
Manually adding a mountlist entry is just the tip of the iceberg when dealing with a 2090, my friend. It's also necessary to create a special partition just for the 2090, and you must use a specific name for a drive based on its SCSI ID number. Or if it's an MFM/RLL, there's a name to use for that, too. And everything must be exactly, perfectly right for it all to work. If the stars of Orion aren't favouring your sign the day you set it up, then all bets are off.

Still, along with the advantage of using RLL/MFM hard drives back when they were free, it also works with the slingshot expansion for the Amiga 500 perfectly fine. Well, as perfectly fine as one can expect a 2090 to work... :roll:
Anyways, my offer for a free 600MB 50 pin SCSI drive still holds. If you want it.
I will definitely need to get back to you on that one.