Help Analysing Non-Responsive Vic

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

billlagr
Vic 20 Amateur

Help Analysing Non-Responsive Vic

Post by billlagr »

Hi All
My Vic has died, only temporarily I hope. I'm not an electonics expert by any means, so I'm hoping that its something simple. Heres what I can tell you -
Power light comes on
Vic is connected to a 1084S monitor, when the power switch is turned on it makes the audio 'pop', the screen flicks but remains black - but not a power off black, but definately something there but its just...black, but with a very slight wavy interference pattern
Did the AM radio thing, and it definately cycles through different 'tones'. Its like the Vic is going through the power n sequence but not completing it
The 6502, 6561, both 6522's and most of the other chips still get warm
Any suggestions?

Update - If i power it up, wait a few seconds, it still responds to commands - I tried load "$",8 and the drive started. So hopefully, its just something like a dodgy video connector

Update again...yes, dodgy video connector. Part of the problem is that it doesnt power up every time - probably 75%
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

here is a link to ray carlsen's site, that has great stuff on the vic:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/

I have a vic that sounds just like yours. I suspect it is the VIC chip, since i am able to get video via a 40 column cart, but not from the a/v port. i still get audio like you as well, and am able to access drives etc..