Fly on the wall... collections!

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Mayhem
High Bidder

Fly on the wall... collections!

Post by Mayhem »

As I'm here and the other half (known as Kris) is currently sleeping (ha!) then I figured I'd finally take a couple of pics (and photoshop them together) to show how my Commodore carts are looking so far. Yes just the carts. I have no idea where all the disks and tapes are gonna go :lol:

http://www.mayhem64.co.uk/misc/commodore1.jpg
http://www.mayhem64.co.uk/misc/commodore2.jpg
http://www.mayhem64.co.uk/misc/commodore3.jpg
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
dave01253
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by dave01253 »

WOW !

:shock:
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Amazing :shock:

Your most prized vic-20 piece (besides ultima)?

Favorite vic-20 game?

Any idea of what you spent to get the Vic-20 collection like that and how long to accumulate it?

Brian
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Most prized Vic20 piece aside from Ultima? Hmm hard to say... probably Key Quest (yet to be dumped) because it was one of those "oh look it ISN'T vapourware anymore!" type affairs.

Favourite Vic20 game is still Matrix (aka AMC in the US).

I've only really been collecting Vic for 3-4 years and I've been lucky in that a lot of the games coming up have been complete already. The current "boom" in prices is interesting... though I managed to grab plenty of stuff when it was quite rock bottom cheap, so I've not spent huge amounts putting it together (unlike the C64 stuff).

Though I did spend three figures for stuff like the complete Miner2049er, Mobile Attack, the complete Boone titles, the Key Quest, Frogman... on the other hand a few really rare titles have also come in at single figure prices...
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Mayhem wrote:Most prized Vic20 piece aside from Ultima? Hmm hard to say... probably Key Quest (yet to be dumped) because it was one of those "oh look it ISN'T vapourware anymore!" type affairs.

Favourite Vic20 game is still Matrix (aka AMC in the US).

I've only really been collecting Vic for 3-4 years and I've been lucky in that a lot of the games coming up have been complete already. The current "boom" in prices is interesting... though I managed to grab plenty of stuff when it was quite rock bottom cheap, so I've not spent huge amounts putting it together (unlike the C64 stuff).

Though I did spend three figures for stuff like the complete Miner2049er, Mobile Attack, the complete Boone titles, the Key Quest, Frogman... on the other hand a few really rare titles have also come in at single figure prices...
Without sounding like a interview here...

With home publishing software readily available it would be incredible to do a book on Vic-20 carts to include boxes (front/back), instructions, screenshots, rarity, price guide and synopsis of gameplay. Ever thought of doing this Mayhem?

Key Quest sounds like a platform collect the keys game or is it something different?

How are the carts arranged in the shelves?? :D

Great collection man!
Brian
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

In response to the first part, I have considered putting together, if I had the time, a similar site to my C64 one in terms of detail. Sort of like a "Commodore carts" site akin to the database AtariAge has for example. Just no time. Love to do that though...

There's no plan to arrange the boxes on the shelves aside from putting all the ones of the same company together in alphabetical order ;)

Key Quest is actually quite a decent game... can't remember offhand what I wrote about it, it should be on the Digital Press online guide.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Centallica wrote:With home publishing software readily available it would be incredible to do a book on Vic-20 carts to include boxes (front/back), instructions, screenshots, rarity, price guide and synopsis of gameplay. Ever thought of doing this Mayhem?
I was hoping this is what a VIC Wiki would end up including (although a coffee table book would be nice too!).
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

ral-clan wrote:
Centallica wrote:With home publishing software readily available it would be incredible to do a book on Vic-20 carts to include boxes (front/back), instructions, screenshots, rarity, price guide and synopsis of gameplay. Ever thought of doing this Mayhem?
I was hoping this is what a VIC Wiki would end up including (although a coffee table book would be nice too!).
There's nothing like colour glossy pages of images to read away from the computer ie: on a road trip, lawnchair, before bed etc...

Then again I could print off the web-pages too :lol:
Brian
Keir
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Keir »

Centallica wrote:There's nothing like colour glossy pages of images to read away from the computer ie: on a road trip, lawnchair, before bed etc...
...on the toilet...

Sorry, that's where I do all my reading! :lol:
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Keir wrote:
Centallica wrote:There's nothing like colour glossy pages of images to read away from the computer ie: on a road trip, lawnchair, before bed etc...
...on the toilet...

Sorry, that's where I do all my reading! :lol:
I bet the corners curl up on you after one of them 3 flush sessions eh :lol:

Brian
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Do you think if everyone here on Denial combined their collections we'd end up with complete versions of 99.9% of everything ever officially released for the VIC-20 (plus some prototypes)?
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

ral-clan wrote:Do you think if everyone here on Denial combined their collections we'd end up with complete versions of 99.9% of everything ever officially released for the VIC-20 (plus some prototypes)?
Collecting can be a strange thing if you're a serious hardcore collector in any area of specialization.

Example: I've been very hardcore in collecting Canadian medallions from 1967 (my birth year) since 1994 and still manage to pull 1-2 pieces new undiscovered before each year and other collectors the same amount of newly discovered pieces 40 years later after they were issued!

Proto types, varieties and obscure items will surface years from now for Vic-20 stuff for sure ie: Witch Way cart recently.

But as I had mentioned to Mayhem, a book or website holding this history would be great to appreciate the history and diversity of what one could accumulate for Vic-20 stuff (kinda of a reference to know what's out there and to check off when accumulated into one's collection).

I did a pre-computer/scanner kitchen table/photocopier book for the above mentioned medallions in 1997, sold 100 copies and made contacts world wide of collectors who sent me scans of "unlisted" medallions, increased my collection from buying their dupe's/selling my dupe's to them and to this day we still exchange "new finds scans" via email (for my 2nd edition if I can figure out a user friendly software) .

What a feeling if we could do such a public catalogue for the hobby though Ral-clan eh? :P
Brian