Vic-20/C64 case revisions?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

jbuonacc
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Vic-20/C64 case revisions?

Post by jbuonacc »

we've heard all about the different keyboards, what about the cases? so far i've seen just two different styles of Vic cases (without close inspection). there's the smooth older style with the metal badge, and the newer 'CR' version as you say which was basically a C64 mold (even has the recess for the RF port).

i've seen several different versions of the C64 case though. here's some observations:

- some have a molded lip around the cartridge port, the others are basically Vic cases with the extra plastic around the RF port (you can actually see the mold line for the Vic cart port)

- i have one that is actually a darker, more 'brown' plastic. i thought it was uv or smoke damage, but the whole inside is the same color. it's like the color of caramel, i think. another weird thing is that the insides of the bottom vents are rounded off unlike the others i've seen.

- the three inner 'latches' at the back are sometimes different, the one on the far right being smaller. the cutout for the power/controller ports is slightly different as well.

anything else? anyone even care?

:D
dave01253
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by dave01253 »

I have 3 vic cases here all different

one is the old 9v model. it has extra vents in the top near the badge.
some mounting holes don't line up with the cr motherboard.

second is newer model. the cartridge slot is not tall enough for some thicker carts. it has the top part of the 64 rf out in the case

third is another newer one. it has bigger cart slot.

i think 3rd came out before 2nd