VICE 1.21!

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

VICE 1.21!

Post by gklinger »

As many of you know, I'm an emulating heretic so I'm very excited to let everyone know that the latest version of VICE (v1.21) has been released. Information on what's new in this release can be found here and download links are listed on the VICE homepage or you can get the files directly from Zimmers.net.

Enjoy!
Last edited by gklinger on Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

** VIC20 changes
----------------

- Added SID cartridge support.
:P
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Jeff-20 wrote:
** VIC20 changes
----------------

- Added SID cartridge support.
:P
Yeah, I thought that would go over well here. :)
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

One thing that always irked me about all the emulators is the keyboard emulation. I'm a touch typist, and know my way around both my Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard as well as a Commodore keyboard quite well; but to try to reproduce the Vic's keyboard on the ergo connected to my PC is a royal pain. I can hit "CLR/HOME" without looking on the Commodore, but actually have to think to press the "Home" key on my PC keyboard, which, incidentally, is among the never used keys along with scroll lock, pause break, and the function keys.

One thing I dislike about the Commodore keyboard (as a touch typist) is the lack of raised bumps on the F and J keys, which lets me easily find "Home row position" by feel. Sometimes, one hand is off so I end up typing gibberish. I may have to create my own home-made F and J key bumps.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

DigitalQuirk: Ever heard of the Keyrah? Could be just what you need should you decide to spend more time emulating. I've been debating about getting one actually. It would nicely compliment the Catweasel I bought recently.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I also don't like the funky keyboard layout on VICE. It keeps me from programming in emulation. It takes to long for me to imagine where keys "should be".
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Jeff-20 wrote:I also don't like the funky keyboard layout on VICE.
So many people complain about that and honestly, I don't see what the problem is. The keyboard layout (keymap) is completely configurable by editing the correct vkm files.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I guess we're all a little lazy. I wish there could be a keyboard layout selection switch on the menu like the config for the joystick. That way, I wouldn't have to mess with any other files.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Jeff-20 wrote:I guess we're all a little lazy. I wish there could be a keyboard layout selection switch on the menu like the config for the joystick. That way, I wouldn't have to mess with any other files.
Now that I think about it, there is, at least in the Mac/X11 version, a quick and easy way to switch between symbolic (PC layout) and positional (C= layout) although you may have to tweak the aforementioned vkm files to get things *exactly* the way you want them.

I must say, the Mac version is hugely improved. I haven't got the RRNet configuration 100% working just yet but I'm close. It won't be long before I'll be able to retire Power64 and use VICE exclusively.
Macguyver
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Macguyver »

It's great to see continued work being done to VICE! I've only got one major problem with the vic20 emulation, and I wish it would be addressed.

The sound emulation is still just approximate. Has anyone noticed how different VICE sounds to a regular vic20, in certain situations? I think that it's the noise register that's the least accurate, but someone please correct me.

Mac
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I agree that the VIC-20 emulator needs improving as do the 128, Plus/4 and PET emulators. It appears that the 64 emulator gets the most attention, which is understandable, and improvements to the others happens very infrequently and often as a by-product of additions to the 64 emulator. I doubt they would turn away volunteers if anyone is interested in helping.
Macguyver
Vic 20 Amateur

VICE

Post by Macguyver »

I would certainly like to help, although I'm not a programmer.

I did send the VICE team an email months ago giving some details as to the vic sound emulation issues. Was never returned.

Has anyone else experienced the sound bug that I'm talking about? It's most noticable in games which use the noise register. Certain frequencies aren't audible in VICE which are in a normal Vic20. Wish I knew what was causing this, it's driving me nuts. :?

Mac
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

It still won't play Bandits right :cry:
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I'm afraid the rare NMI (or was it IRQ?) issue that affects both C64 and VIC (perhaps the other too) emulation won't be fixed in some time, if it is a rather complex bug to handle. Supposedly the bug shows its ugly face in Bandits.

I suppose if we want improved VIC emulation, we need a couple of skilled programmers who can work out better formulas for sound, pinpointing irks in video emulation etc, and then supply this code to the VICE team. Strict bug reports or small feature requests may be possible to implement as it is, but major rewrites not only require time but also dedication about the particular issue.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

gklinger wrote:
Jeff-20 wrote:I also don't like the funky keyboard layout on VICE.
So many people complain about that and honestly, I don't see what the problem is. The keyboard layout (keymap) is completely configurable by editing the correct vkm files.
Are there instructions on how to do that? Even with the hints at the top of the vkm file I'm not sure what I need to do with this file.

I noticed there are symbolic and positional mapping files included, but VICE ignores the setting under Setting/Keyboard. Even if I rename the files, the keyboard works exactly the same. Does WinVICE even use the vkm files?