ntsc terraguard

Discuss anything related to the VIC
vic user
VicGyver

ntsc terraguard

Post by vic user »

does anyone have the rom image for the ntsc version of terraguard?

the pal version more or less works on my real vic, but it sure would be nice to see the whole screen

i don't know what it is about this game, but i find it addictive.

chris
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I don't clearly recall... but I thought that game had some screen adjustment options.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

I'll try the cursor up and down keys when i get home and hope for the best, but i tried it on the emulator and could not adjust the screen.

it's playable in PAL mode, but i would like to see the whole screen :)

chris
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

still only in PAL mode.

perhaps one of the two Anders' could tweak the Pal version for me, and get the screen centered on an NTSC vic? :wink:

i would be super duper appreciative!

chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Let's see what it does.. (emulator testing then)

For a quick fix, try POKE 41013,5:POKE 41018,25 before doing a software reset to start the game. It may be a little flashy (like Quackers was) and I'm not sure if it is me, the emulator or the different video mode, but sometimes it appears the mothership eats me without reason.

I would call it a NTSC hack more than a fix, but maybe it is enough for you.

Edit: Woo, it both does the vertical movement and even horizontally shrinks the Game Over screen correctly. It seems Tom Griner (whom I once insulted, which is another story and I regret) knew his VIC programming to make it work nicely on both video modes.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

thanks!

i will try the pokes on my real vic, when i get back from biking.

i don't know what other think of this game, but i would have purchased it back in the day, no problem.

just one of those games where i find it a nice get away for 5 minutes or so, like when i am waiting for something to come out of the oven, and have a bit of time to kill

chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Hm, I misread that as "when I am waiting for someone to come out of the oven", and didn't know if I should call you cannibal or witch. :P

It is a fine game, but maybe a little too much lowres multicolour for my taste - even the title screen operates in this mode.

I don't know which cartridge that I don't already own (or did own in the old days, to make it fair for the recent collectors among us) that I would like to have for pure playability reasons. Of course, in the old days I owned no cartridge games at all which allows me to choose from all of them, but I don't know if Jelly or Shamus had impressed me enough.
Anders Carlsson

vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

thanks anders!
it worked like a charm!

and i would love to be a witch, but a nice one, so only ginger bread people :)

chris
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i have not tried jelly monsters.

i will see if i have the rom image here.

terraguard would have been a wicked level for gorf!

chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Notice that Jelly Monsters appear in original and RAM patched version, so if you load it as an image into RAM, you want the modified one to prevent it from overwriting itself.

From what I understand, it was withdrawn due to being unlicensed, and being rather uncommon, at least in the US half of the world, while it appears rather often with Swedish VICs - I wonder if it was not programmed by Swedish company/reseller Handic Software for Commodore and thus maybe more common here?
Anders Carlsson

Xanadu
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Xanadu »

Jelly Monsters came out for a few months and then Atari filed a lawsuit and got it withdrawn

It was replaced with Cosmic Cruncher which just changed the sprites to CBM specific ones which looked really lame

The original Jelly Monsters still stands out as possibly the best Pacman game of it's day, I remember playing it as a kid and thinking about what an awesome version of the Arcade game it was