How is your TV/Monitor connected?

Discuss anything related to the VIC

With a RF-modulator...
30%
With an Audio/Video cable (or scart cable)...
60%
A little internal camera taking a picture of the vic chip every 1/50 of a second.
No votes
I mostly use an emulator...
10%

Total votes: 20

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

It seems the Vic20-CR can use a C64 video cable, but with the original vic, you need a different cable that uses the "video high" pin instead of the "video low" pin. Btw, where I live, (Nothern Gothenburg, Sweden), no RF cables will work without disturbances because they have started to send digital TV on exactly the same frequency. We had to throw away our old VCR as well...

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Three out of four alternatives apply to me.

I already have both 5/2 and 8/3 DIN/RCA cables, and I would prefer to use the composite video on my VIC-20, but my 1084 monitor has some error inside which makes the picture scroll around on light colours. It happened after it once was repaired by a professional. I'm wondering if one replacement component of the wrong capacity was used, and I've been instructed what I can do myself to try to fix the problem.

Thus, recently I have used my RF modulator to connect to the 14" TV that stands next to the 1084 monitor. I have to turn down colour intensity to get a reasonable picture, but it works. That TV is so old that it neither has scart nor composite input.

As you already know, I am pro-emulation (in particular when developing, general testing or at work where I don't have a VIC-20 available), so that is the option I had to check this time. The picture is also very clear and the colours are the ones Commodore technicians probably would want to see on the real display too...
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Yep, I use a few methods too.

I play all .tap games I download, and currently all 16k ROM images, via emulation. i will be playing the 16k ROM's on a real vic once i manipulate a 16k cart.

i also use a 1701 monitor, and then also use a TV and the 1701 monitor at the same time, on the same vic, giving me one screen at 22x23 in colour and the complete character set, supplied via the VIC chip, and the other screen at 40x23 in b&w supplied by my 40/80 column card

chris
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I have my VIC in my rec-room in the basement. I use the video out and go straight into my VCR, then use the VCR to switch between my DVD player (Input #1) and the VIC (Input #2), or TV channels. So, no RF connection is used and the picture looks fantastic.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Does this mean that you're taping all your VIC sessions? If there were not so many VIC-20 around, you could sell your tapes on an expo or meet - "WOW L@@K RARE - actual VIC-20 experience on video tape". :lol:
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I'd buy it if it was in DVD format. :lol:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

carlsson wrote:Does this mean that you're taping all your VIC sessions?
Hey - I never thought of that! I guess it would work perfectly well. I could record the moment I achieve the ultimate high score on Atlantis, or something...
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

god, my friends and i have been doing it for ages :wink:

we have whole games of video game hockey on tape :)

chris
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: How is your TV/Monitor connected?

Post by ruud »

Hallo Anders,

> It seems the Vic20-CR can use a C64 video cable, but with the original
> vic, you need a different cable that uses the "video high" pin instead of
> the "video low" pin.

'the original Vic' = the one with the two pins powersocket?
Anyway, I use the same 5 pins DIN-plug on all equipment (VIC-20, C64, C128, CBM 610, C16, +4) W/O any problem.

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: How is your TV/Monitor connected?

Post by Boray »

ruud wrote: 'the original Vic' = the one with the two pins powersocket?
Yes. At least on mine it is that way - just as it says in the manual- One low video signal and one high signal (stronger). If I try to use a c64-cable for my oldest vic, then it looks very dark and pale so you almost can't see anything... But on the newer vic20s, both signals are the same strong one...

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

And it is out of the question that Ruud has a cable that utilizes pin 5 (video high), since that one is reused as audio in on the C64. :) My VIC-20 is a two-prong model (with the 6561E chip), but I don't have any equipment here to measure which pin in the DIN connector is attached to a RCA in the other end, and the housing is of that kind you don't remove at will.

By the way, is the +5V (or +6V as my manual states) pin which can supply up to 10 mA used by the RF modulator as a power source? I notice this pin (1) also is reused on the C64, for luminance. I remember trying to use the VIC-20 RF on the C64, despite it having a built-in one, to see how the picture would look like, but it was very dark. Today I'm too careful to break anything to plug it in like that.
Anders Carlsson

Tonks
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Tonks »

Up until recently I have always used the RF modulator. It always produced (and still does) a nice clear image where I now live. A few years ago I lived in a different state (Tasmania) and there was always a lot of interferance.

Recently I picked up a home made AV lead on ebay for $5. It is very good and the picture is much sharper. So now I use that on my 1080s I share with my Amiga 2000.

I used to share the same monitor with my C64, but since getting an SX-64 I use that all the time with 64 gaming.

Now if I could find a way to make an SX-20, that would be way cool!!!

Tonks
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

You use a portable with a 5" screen (if I remember correctly) for gaming? Masochist. :wink:

Since the SX-64 is said to have a rather different looking motherboard than the plain C64, maybe it is not so easy to modify an unit to hold a VIC, but those skilled with both electronics and a Dremel might be able to put together a portable VIC of their own - I'm anticipating what Ruud will come up with using that old video camera monitor. After all, is the form factor of the SX-64 the ultimate portable one?
Anders Carlsson

Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

I have two VICs, one of which is supposed to be one of the 50th first sold in Sweden (scroll down to see it). I use the same 5-pin DIN cable on both (and on my breadbin C64s) and the picture is fine.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Bacon wrote:I have two VICs, one of which is supposed to be one of the 50th first sold in Sweden (scroll down to see it). I use the same 5-pin DIN cable on both (and on my breadbin C64s) and the picture is fine.
Strange... Then it maybe don't have with age to do, but just that some versions have both the low and high signal while others haven't. Or maybe your monitor can take any of them.

/Anders