Sellers regret

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Sellers regret

Post by Jeff-20 »

I used to live in a tiny apartment and made very little money. I would find amazing videogame items in the thrift store and sell them on ebay.

At the time, just a few items could pay a big portion of my rent. Now I think back on all the cool stuff I gave up... not to mention the prices have inflated about 500%.

sigh...
Zeela
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Zeela »

I know the feeling...

I really regret selling off all my old Commodore equipment, many years ago.

I have a better collection now, but that's not the point!
Check out my humble collection of old 'puters an such
http://www.zeela.se
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Gasp! I have even thrown away boxes because my apartment was too small too comfortable store them! I never thought I would miss the packaging... How stupid was I?
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I sold a couple PETs I had for a while. I got a good price for them, but now that I know a lot more about Commodores (and how to finally get the games from the internet to the computer) I would really like to own one again.

I also re-donated a C16 and black datasette which I just thought I'd never use. Would be cool to play with now that I know a lot more about programming.

This does not include all the great stuff I paused to look at in the Thrift store and thought about buying, then passed up thinking I didn't have the space. I would love to have that now (original PET 2001 w/ built in tape drive, external floppy CBM drives, boxed Bally Astrocade). Once I walked into a Goodwill and there were SIX commodore 128-D's, four C64s, several REU (memory units)). I didn't by any of them (only a couple daughter boards for a SX-64 which I later sold and got a good price for).

However, one thing I am happy about is that I never sold my Amigas. There were times when my main Amiga was having problems and I decided to Ebay the entire lot. Even plotted out on paper how I would auction it, and what I thought I might get for it. Thankfully clear headedness (or the exact opposite - irrational nostalgia) got the better of me and I kept it. The price for Amiga stuff has really gone up lately and I would not have been able to replace it.
Last edited by ral-clan on Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I sold my original Vic 20 and Datasette for $25, both in original packaging. The only thing I kept (quite by accident) was the Vic's RF modulator. Next I sold off my entire C-64 collection to upgrade to the Amiga. At the time, I thought I was "Progressing," moving onward and upward. Like ral-clan, I turned down many opportunites to acquire 8 bit Commodore stuff for cheap or free...but also like ral-clan, I always hung on to my Amiga; mostly because it wasn't worth selling, but also because I kept it the longest and used it the most; it was my only computer between '89 and '94 and grew attached to it. That said, I probably got more for my Vic and C64 at the time I sold them than at any other time, but finding stuff today that hasn't been abused is becoming increasingly difficult.