Robotic Liberation

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

BTW, my use of links above caught the attention of viznut. Via email,
By the way, you can expect me to join your forum in the near future
(actually I'm a bit surprised that I haven't registered any earlier).

viznut
Cool! 8)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Hm, I thought he was registered. Several of the other demo coders are, and a1bert recently became more active.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
viznut
Robotic Liberation

Post by viznut »

Hello! It seems that people have been expecting me :)

For starters, I'll perhaps need to explain the scanline renderer I used for some effects (such as the zoomer and the cubes in RL):

You can alter the position and width of the screen area (in 4- and 8-pixel steps, respectively) via $9000 and $9002. Also, you can put suitable characters in the first and last slot of each line to increase resolution.

Now, do this on every two scanlines (or even every scanline, if you find the rastertime). You may also want to change the colors ($900F and the color memory).

Have three arrays in memory: one for the left positions, one for the right positions and one for the colors.

Now, you can fill these arrays to make effects, pretty pictures, or just about anything, as long as you remember the obvious limitations.

Making a zooming circle should be quite easy - just use a variant of Bresenham's algorithm. Many other geometric shapes could also be drawn to the arrays with pretty simple algorithms (freely rotating ellipses, triangles, rectangles, you know, but not freely rotating stars).

I didn't use Bresenham for the circle zoomer, however. Instead, I implemented a zoomer for arbitrary "scanline pictures" because I use the same zoomer on many other things as well. The vertical dimension works as in an ordinary bitmap zoomer (constant stepping of y-coordinate), and the horizontal dimension basically needs one rude multiplication per x-coordinate (that is, an addition and an inverse logarithm look-up).

There you are :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

:shock:
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

viznut wrote:Hello! It seems that people have been expecting me :)
Indeed! Now that you're here I can say to your virtual face what I've been saying to anyone that would listen ever since I first saw Robotic Liberation and that is that your demo is fantastic and you're a hell of a programmer. I particularly like the music and I listen to the mp3s quite often (even in my car, if you can believe it). I can't put my finger on what it is I like so much about the music. I just do.

I tip my hat to you, sir.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Tesla
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Tesla »

This Robotic Liberation is bloody awsome!
I certainly hope to see a sequel.

Dug out my VIC after seeing it, seems my tapes have faded away though.
Oh well.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I also have the MP3 of RL on my iPod. :lol:
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Jeff-20 wrote:I also have the MP3 of RL on my iPod. :lol:
I feel so much better now. Thanks! :)
Tepic
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Tepic »

How I'd love to have a copy of this for my Vic!

The MP3 wouldn't be bad either! I haven't seen that anywhere.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Tepic wrote:How I'd love to have a copy of this for my Vic!
No problem. See the Robotic Liberation page for interesting information about the demo as well as links to the music in mp3 format, the lyrics, videos of the demo (in case you're not near a VIC or VIC emulator, shame on you) and the demo itself.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Spread the word about this demo. Everyone should see it.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

So is an NTSC version possible??
viznut
Robotic Liberation

Post by viznut »

It's nice to hear that you liked the demo! I've been planning on a new VIC demo that would show off some crazy new techniques and ideas that haven't been used yet. However, it's probably not going to be a sequel to the robot series (it's a bit too time-consuming to cleverly combine plot-driven stuff with extreme technical show-off).

One day I uploaded some of my demotunes to last.fm (google viznut last.fm) and yes, it's sometimes surprising to notice that some people like them so much that they actually listen to them. However the most astonishing thing of them all was a group of high school kids here in Finland who decided to make a rock cover of Robotic Liberation soundtrack. There's even a video of their performance at Google Video.

I don't think there's ever going to be an NTSC version of RL because I would have to rewrite all the raster stuff and there's too much of it. Some other demos (Robotic Warrior for example) may be much simpler to fix for NTSC.

If I have inspiration (and I manage to find the source code) I may release an emulator-compatible version of RL, as well as a RAM-based version (runnable without disk drive with a 16K+ expander), because these modifications probably need little more than small hacks to the loader.
viznut
Robotic Liberation

Post by viznut »

Hello!

Here's an emulator-compatible RAM-only version of RL. 16K or 24K expansion, still PAL-only.

By the way, I also have a blog nowadays, and I tend to write a lot about 8-bit stuff etc. Check http://viznut.livejournal.com/ or http://www.pelulamu.net/viznut/blog/
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Great, it could be on the multicart with a few more stages in evolution... If I had a PAL system. :cry: Please please see if NTSC is possible.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.