Super Snapshot V5.22 is a 1581 KILLER!

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

Super Snapshot V5.22 is a 1581 KILLER!

Post by eslapion »

I just had a very frightnening experience with the super snapshot V5.22 I bought at WoC.

For the first time I used it to copy files from a 1581 to another and it went awry in the middle of the job nearly killing one of my 1581 drives.

It also rendered my 64 useless for a few minutes.

Is it Joe Palumbo who makes these? Cuz if it is, I already have a number of things I saw that really doesn't look too professional about this cart.

First there is no gold plating on the connectors, second there still was lots of solder flux left on the solder pads and third, I could never get the cart's plastic box to shut properly.

Lousy contacts makes for unreliable systems and that's what happened.

In the end, I had to open up the faulty 1581 and manually reposition the RW heads to a normal position. NOT good.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

For those who have any interest...

After trying about 2 dozen times copying a 1581 floppy that's 3/4 filled with files, I discovered that the 32k add-on I paid an extra 20$ for is the cause of the problem...

Enabled, the copying fails, disabled the copying works...

And I first believed my 512k expander had problems... not at all!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

(ignore this post...the ramblings of someone who did not look closely enough at the screen before panicking) :oops:

Eslapion,

This has nothing to do with your topic, but your posts have the date of 23-Jun-2006 (below your avatar). Something is weird here (as it is really December 23, of course).

Eeek! My post says Jan-26!

Jeff?!
Last edited by ral-clan on Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Are you looking at the "joined" date or the post date? On this board, the join date is under your avatar; the message date is above your message.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Jeff-20 wrote:Are you looking at the "joined" date or the post date? On this board, the join date is under your avatar; the message date is above your message.
Whoah, sorry, I am an idiot. :oops:
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I think somebody has been into the nog a little early this year. ;)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

:lol: :lol:
Rob
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

....hic... 8)
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Hahum... ok

I'll use this opportunity to bring back this topic to its original subject...

After buying a Super Snapshot V5.22 with extra 32k at the WoC 2006, here are my findings:

The disk accompanying the cart is unreadable. It seems it was formatted/writting to by a drive that is out of alignment.

The extra 32k is unreliable. Mostly useful when copying large volumes of files, this extra RAM is unreliable and can cause destination data to be corrupt and even your floppy drives to have destructive behaviors.

The neat thing, however, is that if you have a 1764 or 1750 or clone and a 1581 or two then copying files can take advantage or your expander and reduce the number of disk swaps. That is if you take care to deactivate the 32k onboard the SSV5.22 and you happend to have a multislot expander for your 64.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

If it can help you, for fast Copying with the C64 and 2 1581 drives i use Maverick Tools, if i remember well if you use 1 1581 drive only it may use ram expansions too.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

nbla000 wrote:If it can help you, for fast Copying with the C64 and 2 1581 drives i use Maverick Tools, if i remember well if you use 1 1581 drive only it may use ram expansions too.
Well, here I have to point out some good points of SSV5.22.

The file copier of SSV5.22 is available at the press of a button unlike MTs which must be loaded from a "1541 only" floppy and is just as fast as the MTs' file copier.