Denial Collection 2

Discuss anything related to the VIC
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Well, didn't nippur72 buy his copy from eBay, so it was sent much later than the rest of us?

Tepic: I'm sure someone will help you out getting a bunch of 5.25" DD. If not, I might be able to sell you some cheap sometime after New Year. In particular if you're satisfied with single sided floppy disks (unused), I can provide you horseloads of it. I don't have a good source for 3.5" DD though.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Tepic wrote:
please make a disk copy and send it.
I wouldn't know where to buy the right disks! I can't even get 3.5" 720k disks for my Atari STs!

I do have a box of old 1.2MB disks. I am assuming they are useless though.
You sound like someone that should know about floppydisk.com who sell 3.5" and 5.25" DD disks. Thankfully, finding disks is no longer a problem.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

carlsson wrote:Well, didn't nippur72 buy his copy from eBay, so it was sent much later than the rest of us?
Nope. I mailed nipper's the same day I mailed yours.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

gklinger wrote:
Tepic wrote:
please make a disk copy and send it.
I wouldn't know where to buy the right disks! I can't even get 3.5" 720k disks for my Atari STs!

I do have a box of old 1.2MB disks. I am assuming they are useless though.
You sound like someone that should know about floppydisk.com who sell 3.5" and 5.25" DD disks. Thankfully, finding disks is no longer a problem.
I picked up 2 new sealed boxes at World of Commodore $3 each to make sure I have enough :D

Brian
Tepic
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Tepic »

I can't see shipping costs to the UK on that site.

I've yet to find a source in the UK. Ho hum.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

IIRC, Protovision (although based in Germany) sells 5.25" DD. But yes, shipping from a foreign country probably is a bit of a killer.
Anders Carlsson

GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

I just got to reading this topic, and I have to say, I'm sorry I missed out on this disk collection. If you ever deside to make more copies, I'd be intrested. Or if all you need is a disk, I have some blanks. Anyhow, the disk sounds great. If I'd known why you were asking for addresses I'd have surely sent you mine. Keep up the great work.

Later,
Rob
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

I *finally* found my composite video cable for my VIC... I had brought it with me to Chicago so I could hook my C128 up to my portable DVD player I use as a little monitor, and it somehow ended up in a Radio Shack with the Hummer game I bought which I finally got around to putting away...

Anyway, I got to play the Denial games tonight, and had a really good time. I'll be going back to them again when I get time off work later. Here's my notes:

Game Theory - fun, neat little games. haven't figured out balloon pop yet. Best score, 12.

Spy Mouse - a nice mix of elements, very well done, though very tough. A number of months back you had asked about how to get an enemy to chase a player; was that code used for the guards in this game?

World Cup Shoot Out! - simple but still fun. Lost by one goal both games.

Box - neat idea, and pretty compelling once I really figured it out. The actual drawing was a bit tedious when you knew what you were wanting to do, like when filling in a 7 or 8. My best was 15 completed.

Zombie Yard - surprisingly frantic. The sound fx really add a lot. I got to night 3 once, though I'm not sure what killed me; can a zombie stop digging once they've started? There was nothing else around except the digging zombie I had just stepped on.

Couples - 64 was my best once I had a clue. Pretty fun.

Spy Mouse DC - I managed to get 6 folders in this one, then got bombed with only 17 seconds left. Some of the new basement mazes are nice, though couldn't the fire make a level unsolvable?

This collection of games has shown me how capable BASIC is for games on the VIC, at least with the right programmer. Great job, Jeff!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks for the review!

In response:

Game Theory- Balloon pop was my favorite, but seems to be the most difficult to figure out. The key is that you only need to press the fire button once for each balloon (and release the button before repeating). Frantic button pressing is similar to holding the button because the program only checks again after a balloon is popped.

Spy Mouse- actually I modified several suggestions for a less-than-perfect chaser. My first version of the program was too accurate. Thanks for the input. I should have given credit. And you are correct, fire could (and often does) make it impossible. When the timer runs out, you do not die. You are simply returned to the outside halls where you must try again.

Box- I was trying to figure out how to get rid of the more simple characters (various bars). I wasn't concerned because that was just a rough draft. I wanted a final version to have custom characters. I put it in the program section to invite collaboration. I thought it would be fun to let every one pitch in for a more finished game.

Zombie Yard- zombies only turn red just before digging. If you stand over one too early, you will die. You must wait until he is "in the ground" before covering him.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

If you add custom characters to Box, it becomes a few hundred percent more difficult, as it is based on that you know how the VIC-20 character set looks like. Clues about custom graphics you have never seen before will make it frustratingly difficult, IMHO. Maybe if you have a help screen displaying the whole palette of available custom characters.
Anders Carlsson

Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Recieved mine yesterday! Didn't have time to play until tonight, but it was well worth the wait. Game Theory is great! Best score so far: 8 :?

World Cup, Swe vs Can: 4-4. Bacon missed the goal, which makes sense since his non-virtual counterpart sucks at soccer.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

There's a hidden team. Anyone find it yet? :wink: