Canadians: Rat Shack is back in Canada

Discuss anything related to the VIC
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Canadians: Rat Shack is back in Canada

Post by ral-clan »

This might be of interest to Canadians on this discussion board, particularly those that occasionally bought their VIC-20 hacking supplies from Radio Shack Canada. I was searching for the website for The Source-CC, and since I couldn't remember it, I just did a search for Radio Shack Canada (thinking I'd be re-directed). Well, to my surprise I found this site:

http://www.radioshackisback.com/en/faqs.asp

Apparently there was a dispute last year between Radio Shack and its subsidiary, InterTan Canada (what we knew as Radio Shack Canada). InterTan was forced to drop the Radio Shack name in Canada (hence all stores became "The Source by Circuit City"). So now the mother corporation Radio Shack USA is expanding back into Canada with its own line of stores.

How interesting! Two different chains which are essentially the same (The Source CC even sells those crappy Genexxa/Nexxtech products ) operating in Canada at once, and at odds.

(I know Radio Shack and The Source electronics components are overpriced, but when you're only other option is driving 1 hour to a larger city to get cheaper stuff, sometimes you use what resources you have).

There's another strange implication: apparently BOTH the new Radio Shack Canada and The Source are honouring the old Radio Shack Canada's product warranties. Hmmm..... :?
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

this is going to be interesting!
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

It's more complicated than you realize. The Wikipedia entry for InterTan has an accurate albeit brief explanation of the machinations. Regardless of what has transpired, we'll be seeing an increasing number of Radio Shack stores popping up over the next few years. Oddly, Circuit City who now controls InterTan is planning to open a series of their big-box, electronic retail outlets to compete with the Future Shop/Best Buy (the latter owns the former) quasi-monopoly. Looks like we (Canadians) are going to end up with a lot more choices and competition usually means lower prices and better service.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

gklinger wrote:It's more complicated than you realize. The Wikipedia entry for InterTan
Yeah, I read that Wikipedia article.

Sounds like both franchises screwed themselves. SourceCC lost the brand recognition of the name RadioShack....have to build up public trust again. RadioShack kept the trusted name but lost all those choice locations that they had been in for 20 years.

Has anyone been to one of the new Radio Shack stores? How are they for electronic components? The chain used to be alright for innovative stuff and parts up to the late 1980s, but after that they really cut down.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

Nifty. Too bad it's too late to be able to buy the Hummer game at a local Radio Shack - the couple I have were a bit of a hassle to obtain.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Digging up an old Thread here.

Canadian Radio Shacks broke away and became "The Source by Circuit City" two years ago.

Now the news is that "Circuit City" (US) is filing for bankruptcy protection:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/0811 ... ircuitcity
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I started reading this thread without checking the dates and thought to myself, "This is really old news." Then I read the last post and realized why it had been revived.

It's too bad, really. I wish they had stuck with an original formula of a small store well stocked with various electronic kits and other electronic stuff for hobbyists. Their metal bookshelf speakers were pretty good too.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

DigitalQuirk wrote:I started reading this thread without checking the dates and thought to myself, "This is really old news." Then I read the last post and realized why it had been revived.

It's too bad, really. I wish they had stuck with an original formula of a small store well stocked with various electronic kits and other electronic stuff for hobbyists. Their metal bookshelf speakers were pretty good too.
Well, it's Circuit City (US) the mother company of The Source that is filing for bankruptcy. That might not affect The Source by CC at all...I read that earlier this year Circuit City was already trying to sell off its The Source subsidiary. So it might be that The Source by CC (the old Canadian InterTan / Radio Shack) is actually doing okay on it's own - the Canadian subsidiary of InterTan was pretty independent even when it was part of the old Radio Shack brand.

But I agree. I liked them better before when they were not trying to be a mini Future Shop / Best Buy. When you could actually get some unique products and electronic parts. I know their prices and selection sucks, but when you live in a smaller town, they are the only dealer in electronic parts for an hour's drive.