Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

How you like joystick at that device?
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

nippur72 wrote:I've tried it on Win32 and you get something like this:

All that's needed is a small modification to the source file (one line commented in "vic20.h").
Where did you find the source code? I didn't see it here:
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... tors/VICE/

(there is source code for all other platforms, but none for GP2x)
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Mikam73 wrote:How you like joystick at that device?
Some people have reported that they _HATE_ using the GP2x joystick, but to me, it's no worse than using an analog joystick on a modern game console system. However, my first joystick cap did get lost because it fell out. Lucky for me, I bought a spare, so I'm using that one. I do plan on buying more replacement caps.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

Where did you find the source code? I didn't see it here:
the source code, as well as the latest binaries, can be downloaded from

http://www.viceteam.org
Macguyver
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Macguyver »

Ghislain:

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been on holidays. Of course, I've been goin' nuts on the GP2X whenever I get a spare chance. Just this weekend a new Amiga emulator was released which can run a lot of stuff at full speed which is just nuts. It's still alpha too.

Regarding the TV display, the truth is that the TV out actually displays even less than what you can see on the GP2X. This is due to the normal TV cutoff on television sets, unless you are using a TV which can show the underscanned image as well. But either way, you can't view more than is viewable on the GP2X screen, which unfortunately does cut off the very left and right of the Vic20 display. There is a scaled mode in Vice which you can use to see the whole screen quite easily on the TV set but it does skip pixels to do this so it's a bit blocky.

This is only because the vic20 does not have a proper 320x200 display. The 64 and the Amiga do however, and their outputs are fine on the TV.

The truth is that the TV out is a bit budget for this reason. The display is clear and colourful, but the low resolution aspect is quite noticable. I believe that the video playback is ful res on the TV however.

Mac

Mac
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Thanks for the information about the TV display for the '2X. I thought that there was a 720x480 display mode for TV out? (I read that somewhere).
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

To Ghislain:

I just wanted to indicate that I use VICE VIC emulation with a weird display resolution of 848x480 and what I get is a display and ratio that is nearly identical to the real thing. At least when compared to NTSC VICs.

This resolution is available on any radeon display cards if you install "Rage 3D Tweak" to your PC.

Enabling the TV out with this resolution provides a display quality that is "better than the real thing", yet still exhibiting the familiar scan lines.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

I use VICE VIC emulation with a weird display resolution of 848x480 and what I get is a display and ratio that is nearly identical to the real thing.

This resolution is available on any radeon display cards [...]
also, the 640x400 (not 480) resolution is very close to the original and it's available on all video cards (it's the old EGA video mode).
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

nippur72 wrote:also, the 640x400 (not 480) resolution is very close to the original and it's available on all video cards (it's the old EGA video mode).
I have to disagree here. I tried that resolution in VICE. With size doubling, a portion of the display is missing and without size doubling the picture is very small, using only a small portion of the display.

I must admit, however, that without size doubling the scanline effect on a normal CRT VGA monitor is truly like the original and the ratio is just fine.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Guys, maybe one of you are speaking about PAL VIC-20 and one is speaking about NTSC VIC-20? The total visible area is radically different, and in combination with weird PC graphic modes, it is possible that one combination of graphic mode and video standard looks great, but the same graphic mode with the other video standard is pointless to use.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image