Young Arthur's Quest

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

avsars
Vic 20 Newbie

Young Arthur's Quest

Post by avsars »

Another lost VIC-20 adventure game released in 1982 by RBI Software. I know, they are not very interesting and this time some might have preferred me not to recover the file but I am just doing this for preservation purposes.

I’ve found the C64 file that is also converted from VIC-20 version like the Jack and the Beanstalk. In fact it is not even converted, a 22-column converter program is added for C64 compatibility. But the program did not work for either of the machines since there were some bugs probably caused by scanning errors or typos.

Arthurs_Quest.png
Arthurs_Quest.png (1.56 KiB) Viewed 29 times

With minimum intervention I’ve corrected them to get a playable game, but didn’t touch other faults like a ton of typos, incompatible colors or misaligned words. VIC-20 version requires 16K expansion. Type LOAD”YOUNG ART. QUEST”,8 and RUN to play the game if you are ready to encounter the painful experience. You may try to run the game on C64 by loading and running “C64 22 COLUMNS.PRG” first.
Attachments
Young Arthur's Quest (1982)(RBI).d64.zip
(9.68 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Last edited by avsars on Sat May 18, 2024 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Young Arthur's Quest

Post by Mike »

Hi, avsars,
avsars wrote:Another lost VIC-20 adventure game released in 1982 by RBI Software. I know, they are not very interesting and this time some might have preferred me not to recover the file but I am just doing this for preservation purposes. [...]
The forum has quite a few members interested in adventure games, just from the relative lack of feedback you should not draw the conclusion there is no interest at all.

You should however consider putting these threads into the Collecting & History section instead, as your main motivation anyhow is the preservation of these games. (mod: done)
In fact [the game] is not even converted, a 22-column converter program is added for C64 compatibility. [...] You may try to run the game on C64 by loading and running “C64 22 COLUMNS.PRG” first.
I tried out the converter in x64sc VICE - it's quite funny that this relatively small tool successfully manages to change the output width to 22 columns. The tool however warns against editing the programs in that mode (and likely, INPUT will also get confused by it).

Greetings,

Michael
avsars
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by avsars »

Thanks Mike. I wanted to share these games I found, but at the same time, I felt like I was crowding them out among the great games. I agree with you about that Collecting and History will be a more suitable place for these posts.
Orangeman96
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Orangeman96 »

avsars wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:20 am With minimum intervention I’ve corrected them to get a playable game, but didn’t touch other faults like a ton of typos, incompatible colors or misaligned words. VIC-20 version requires 16K expansion. Type LOAD”YOUNG ART. QUEST”,8 and RUN to play the game if you are ready to encounter the painful experience. You may try to run the game on C64 by loading and running “C64 22 COLUMNS.PRG” first.
Thanks again, avsars. -OGM
avsars
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by avsars »

Orangeman96 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:01 pm
Thanks again, avsars. -OGM
You are most welcome Orangeman96!
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I want to say I already had this, but in the current WIP of GB20 I have locally and not released to public yet. But good to get it out there.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
avsars
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by avsars »

Mayhem wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:48 am I want to say I already had this, but in the current WIP of GB20 I have locally and not released to public yet. But good to get it out there.
Yes, I've checked the GB20 prior to this, it was on the list but the file was missing. Probably you also have the C64 version, the one with 22 column converter. I've found C64 version on a few websites, all have the same bugs I mentioned. Particularly a few corrupted lines in the listing result in syntax error in the middle of the game.