Formula V20 '85

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Orangeman96
Vic 20 Amateur

Formula V20 '85

Post by Orangeman96 »

Awesome! I just bought a copy! -OGM

(mod: Please check the Rules for Announcement posts. Thanks.)
Orac
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Formula V20 '85

Post by Orac »

Great to see more racers on the VIC. It certainly has a good sense of speed! :D
huffelduff
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by huffelduff »

Orangeman96 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:46 pm Awesome! I just bought a copy! -OGM
Thank you!
Orac wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:08 am Great to see more racers on the VIC. It certainly has a good sense of speed! :D
After I saw Monza I thought that I'd better do one as well :D
You're mentioned in the documentation of Formula V20 btw.

Greetings

H
Orac
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Orac »

huffelduff wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:23 am After I saw Monza I thought that I'd better do one as well :D
You're mentioned in the documentation of Formula V20 btw.
Thanks! I bought a copy and I'm looking forward to giving it some serious play on my VIC later today! 8)
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Great game, Huffelduff.

Fully agree that it makes you really feel the speed. Maybe too demanding with the tires? (so far I haven't been able to finish a race without bursting them :D )

Nice detail the Team selection screen. The colourful car reminded me the old F1 Benetton team...

Cheers
AndyH
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by AndyH »

Really nice. I've not finished a race yet, but getting the hang of it. There's always a car on the bends so if you slow down before you get to one it's easier to avoid a collision. This feels like a game where a bit of practice yields the results. The audio works really well, that engine noise is nicely balanced. We are being spoiled with games recently!
--
AndyH
HEWCO | Vic 20 blog
Orac
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Orac »

Yes slowing before the bend helps a lot. It's a fun game! :)

I found a bug (I think!). I finished all 4 races in the championship in first place (I had 36 points), yet my final standing was second in the championship.
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

Clever use of hires makes for very attractive player car. Certainly miles better looking than the cars in C64 Pole Position. Also very cute multi color horizon graphics (just noticed the Tyrannosaurs too) and lovely colour schemes on all the screens. But the real icing on the cake is the PP-like intro fanfare :D It was always the most magical feature of the arcade game to me. Sounds great here!
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Really nicely done game!

I also like the striped road marking that give a good sense of speed. Would be nice if the off-road section would be green (gras), but I suppose this has technical reasons? Super Monza does not have the striped marking, but green off-roads.

My only issue is the accelerating by moving the joystick forward instead of pushing the fire-button. My hand always hurts after a few games, this was the same back in the day with Pit Stop 2. Maybe it is possible to include both options? Gear shifting could still be done by holding fire-button and up/down simultaneously, down without button would still be for breaking.
Orac
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Orac »

Yes, I would have liked stripes in Super Monza 1 and 2 too but couldn't have them because of the way the graphics were designed. I would have had to have lost a lot of the roadside graphics.

Pole Position has grass and stripes but has very little roadside objects. Also has a blue road. :P
huffelduff
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by huffelduff »

Orac wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:00 pm Yes slowing before the bend helps a lot. It's a fun game! :)

I found a bug (I think!). I finished all 4 races in the championship in first place (I had 36 points), yet my final standing was second in the championship.
You are indeed correct. That will teach me to fiddle at the last minute.
Anyhow I'll upload the corrected version tonight.

When you won the championships you should have gotten the following image to indicate the achievement:
Image - Laurel wreath and Crown.png
Image - Laurel wreath and Crown.png (2.83 KiB) Viewed 260 times
So with the power vested in me I crown thee the 2024 Formula VIC world champion!

Greetings

H
Orac
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Orac »

huffelduff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:11 am So with the power vested in me I crown thee the 2024 Formula VIC world champion!
Thank you! 8)

Yes, I did indeed get the wreath graphic. Great to hear you found the bug.
huffelduff
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by huffelduff »

AndyH wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:47 am Really nice. I've not finished a race yet, but getting the hang of it. There's always a car on the bends so if you slow down before you get to one it's easier to avoid a collision. This feels like a game where a bit of practice yields the results. The audio works really well, that engine noise is nicely balanced. We are being spoiled with games recently!
Ola H wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:19 pm Clever use of hires makes for very attractive player car. Certainly miles better looking than the cars in C64 Pole Position. Also very cute multi color horizon graphics (just noticed the Tyrannosaurs too) and lovely colour schemes on all the screens. But the real icing on the cake is the PP-like intro fanfare :D It was always the most magical feature of the arcade game to me. Sounds great here!
Hey Andy and Ola,

Ola you wrote: "Also very cute multi color horizon graphics (just noticed the Tyrannosaurs too)"
Well what's Tokyo without some monster attacking it?
"But the real icing on the cake is the PP-like intro fanfare :D It was always the most magical feature of the arcade game to me. Sounds great here!"
I loved the fanfare on the racing arcade machines too. It's an announcement that something wonderful is about to happen :D

Andy you wrote: " We are being spoiled with games recently!"
With Emu's massive hunt coming and Fizz, Prince of Persia, Monza and the rest the Vic is starting to become one HOT tamale.
As regards the gameplay: After a bit of practice you're going to be 1st in no time. Then its basically resource management for fuel and tires.

Greetings H
huffelduff
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by huffelduff »

Lechuck wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:08 am Great game, Huffelduff.

Fully agree that it makes you really feel the speed. Maybe too demanding with the tires? (so far I haven't been able to finish a race without bursting them :D )

Nice detail the Team selection screen. The colourful car reminded me the old F1 Benetton team...

Cheers
Yeah Benetton has always been stylish and fun.
And those tires. I remember in Pitstopp II that was the thing that drove me up the wall.

H
mingle
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mingle »

Looks great!

Can someone post a quick video on YT showing the game in action? I don't have my Vic-20 at hand to try it out...

Cheers,

Mike.