Vic 20 Amateur

Re: For new users - make a post or say hello

Post by Soloman »

Welcome neighbors from Germany!
jochwat
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by jochwat »

Hello, everyone! Joe here from the corn / solar panel fields of Northern Indiana, USA.

As a pre-teen in the beginning of the 1980s, my Dad wouldn't splurge on a home videogame console. Too expensive for a box that would just make an already "husky" boy sit around in the house even more than normal. But when I saw that the local K-Mart was promoting the Vic 20, a real computer, for only $88! I showed my parents the newspaper ad, they discussed it, and Dad and I went to go pick up the machine. He saw they also had a "Commodore 64" on sale for $249 and asked, would you rather get this one? That seemed like a lot of money, and I was happy just to be getting the Vic, so I said, nah, the $88 one is fine. :shock:

Eventually the Vic 20 was indeed upgraded to a tape drive, then a floppy drive, then to a C64, then an Amiga 1000, and then a 2000HD, and a 3000, until finally the writing was on the wall and I've been in Windows-land ever since.

But recently I found a Facebook Marketplace ad selling a couple of Vic-20s. One works well, the other has a video issue but works outside of that. Grabbed a Penultimate+ 2 cart, a SD card drive, a video cable, and a joystick, and downloaded a bunch of books. I guess this is one way to be 13 again! Amazed what you folks out there are making for my first computer these days. Tetris was a fun surprise, for sure. Can't wait to dig into more fun stuff.

-Joe
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Great story, Joe,

Welcome to Denial!

Yes, you are right, I guess that, for many of us, this is like being 13 again :wink:

Cheers
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Being thirteen again is the reason why I keep coming back here on a regular basis. Welcome! :D
Orangeman96
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Orangeman96 »

Me too! I am just getting back into my VIC-20 nowadays.
Last edited by Orangeman96 on Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OGM
ibaldachini
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by ibaldachini »

Hi, I'm Igor from Italy.

I have my Vic 20 from far 1982, probably like you!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Benvenuto Igor! Glad to have another Italian fellow in the friendly forum :D . Have fun!
c=razy
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: For new users - make a post or say hello (was: Jupiter Lander Variants)

Post by c=razy »

My first post to the forum.

I've been into C64 my entire computer using life but just acquired my first VIC-20.

A very clean and 100% functional unit with gold badge and PET style keys made in the USA.

Also had some boxed games with Jupiter Lander being one of them.

Inside was not only all the documentation as expected but also this receipt for $20.50 from September 30th 1982.

The address on the receipt was the same address I acquired this lot from at an estate sale.
Jupiter Lander Receipt from September 30th 1982
Jupiter Lander Receipt from September 30th 1982
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Welcome to the forum.

I think it's nice when you get these pieces of information that give you a little bit of the history of an item. I'm sure $20 was quite a bit of money to someone in 1982.

Simon.
batkins
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by batkins »

Hi!

Retired IT guy now reliving my younger days with Commodore computers namely VIC-20, 64, Amiga. PET is probably going to happen at some point.

Enjoying the modern twists!
Your Friendly Coder
aussiekraut
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by aussiekraut »

Well, not a new member as such but a quiet one :D

I'm a retired IT support tech, sys admin, networking engineer and software developer who hates computers these days...except those old machines that got me into this IT mess in the first place :D

My first exposure to computers was the PETs we had at school back in 79, maybe 80. There were a few 3008s, one 3016, and the crown jewel was the 3032 with two floppy drives. Due to a chronic lack of funds, I didn't get my first computer until early 1984, when I picked up a Vic, a Datasette, two cassettes and all that packed into a sports bag at a sale for a whopping DM450, not cheap at the time but affordable, considering a similar C64 would have set me back a grand more, albeit with a 1541.

Fast forward 40 years, and the VIC is long gone (faulty character ROM or something) and with it, all my old software, source code, extension cartridges and the "Super Expander" box with six expansion slots, and I could put the monitor on top. These days, I have two VICs, one soon to go, a TheVic20, a Commodore Pi (Breadbox case, KeyRah adapter, RasPi 2, running Combian) and, of course, VICE on all my computers. Yes, I know, for somebody who hates computers, I have a lot of them around :) There are also a C64, another Commodore PI booting into C64, a C16, a Plus 4 and an Amiga 500. There are more but that'll do :)