** Revision 2024 Invitation / Website

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Mike
Herr VC

Re: ** Revision 2024 Invitation / Website

Post by Mike »

It would have been preferable to raise that kind of question in PM:
Orangeman96 wrote:Amused disbelief, I suppose; my apologies if that approach to fostering discussion instead generates discontent on anyone's part ...
That is the issue with any one-word comment placed in public that leaves the one being addressed in the unclear how it was meant.

I am pretty fine with any amused disbelief in that particular case, you should however have noticed by now (by reading the other thread carefully), that I did not at any time leave people in the unclear about what they get when they run the display program:
Mike wrote:[...] The program lets you pan a view into the whole picture with the cursor keys. The display is zoomed, [...]
... quoted from the OP. Yet, the program still loads the whole 2 bpp 320x200 bitmap into memory and allows the user to view it, even given the hard hardware restrictions of VIC-I. There is no way to get a true CGA display out of VIC-I, that should go without saying.
I guess I registered under the assumption Denial was indeed a respectful, fun, open-discussion VIC-20 forum where members support one another: versus sniping at one another, or it being a "moderated-something-else" -- a "mistake" I won't make again for sure where my posting is concerned.
Again, that depends on who you exactly address, and whether you do this in public or in PM - not all people are the same.

Taking your time to grasp the general atmosphere in a forum before getting your feet wet is also a good idea. :wink:
Orangeman96
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Orangeman96 »

Mike wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:07 am It would have been preferable to raise that kind of question in PM:
Orangeman96 wrote:Amused disbelief, I suppose; my apologies if that approach to fostering discussion instead generates discontent on anyone's part ...
That is the issue with any one-word comment placed in public that leaves the one being addressed in the unclear how it was meant.

I am pretty fine with any amused disbelief in that particular case, you should however have noticed by now (by reading the other thread carefully), that I did not at any time leave people in the unclear about what they get when they run the display program:
Mike wrote:[...] The program lets you pan a view into the whole picture with the cursor keys. The display is zoomed, [...]
... quoted from the OP. Yet, the program still loads the whole 2 bpp 320x200 bitmap into memory and allows the user to view it, even given the hard hardware restrictions of VIC-I. There is no way to get a true CGA display out of VIC-I, that should go without saying.
I guess I registered under the assumption Denial was indeed a respectful, fun, open-discussion VIC-20 forum where members support one another: versus sniping at one another, or it being a "moderated-something-else" -- a "mistake" I won't make again for sure where my posting is concerned.
Again, that depends on who you exactly address, and whether you do this in public or in PM - not all people are the same.

Taking your time to grasp the general atmosphere in a forum before getting your feet wet is also a good idea. :wink:
Perhaps "delighted disbelief" would translate better, but sure, Michael, whatever you say, of course. 8)

BTW, I have a wee-bit of experience when it comes to internet collaboration sites; here's the website *I* used to "moderate" before my last promotion: Space-Track.org. (Your fellow Deutschlanders at DLR in Cologne, and GSSAC in Uedem, as well as your fellow Europeans at ESA in Darmstadt can validate what I am saying, assuming you require it. Maybe I should develop a VIC-20 BBS to host the SATCAT, or maybe something else called the VIC-20 Acceptance forum. :lol:)

Pax,

OGM

(P.S. All I ever did in Muenchen is visit Frauenkirche, drink beer, and eat Jägerschnitzel or Schweinshaxe.)
heaven6502
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by heaven6502 »

Btw anybody interested in a Collab for Evoke demo party?

Still need a proper demo system as I still got some demo FX for theVIC20 but as with Gnork I struggled with those double irqs
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

heaven6502 wrote:I struggled with those double irqs
If the purpose of those "double IRQs" is to set up a stable raster IRQ, you might want to take a sharp look at this: ** Stable rasters on the VIC-20.

That is the canonical way to do this on the VIC-20, with a cycle exact timer interrupt once per frame, and IRQ jitter compensation based on the read-out timer value, using a NOP slide.
[...] anybody interested in a Collab for Evoke demo party?
Possibly, yes.

For a starter, if you and any graphicians you know come to terms with the 160x192 picture resolution (mixed hires/multi!) offered by MINIGRAFIK and MINIPAINT, that would be a huge step forward. Taking the non-square aspect ratio of hires pixels on the VIC-20 into account (it's more like 1.667:1 on PAL) would also be nice.

Reach out to me via PM if you want to discuss details. :)