A horror survival game for the VIC 20?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

darkseid1981
Vic 20 Newbie

A horror survival game for the VIC 20?

Post by darkseid1981 »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. I have a very curious idea, a Resident Evil inspired game for the VIC 20. Now hear me out, I know the VIC has limited hardware so no 3D so it'll have to be a top down 2D view, and keeping with the limited view of it's inspirations sake you will only see a part of the room or hallway, like there's a shroud around the player all in attempt to create suspense. The graphics can be either custom keyboard graphics, low-res or hi-res graphics, and the control scheme shouldn't be overly complicated. Just having the player facing the direction of the monsters should be enough to shoot and hit it.

Not sure if anyone here would be willing to try and make this, as I'm currently working on a dungeon crawler and this idea will be lost to the winds of time or my pile of so many ideas for games that it may never see the light of day. But I think this one should at least have a chance at existing.
Keep moving forward.
Mike
Herr VC

Re: A horror survival game for the VIC 20?

Post by Mike »

Hi!
I have a very curious idea, a Resident Evil inspired game for the VIC 20. [...] you will only see a part of the room or hallway, like there's a shroud around the player all in attempt to create suspense.
You might want to check out King Tut, where the player only sees the immediate surroundings of the labyrinth in lantern light. Everything else is either shown in dark blue or is sometimes even completely cast in darkness.
I know the VIC has limited hardware [...]
The VIC-20 hardware probably is not as limited as you may think. ;)
I think this one should at least have a chance at existing.
The technical side of the game is not that much of a concern. The game idea mostly rests on the necessary design of a story, of graphics and levels and puzzles to solve in those levels - besides the necessity to avoid/kill(?) enemies -, say, maps/keys/doors/treasures to find so the player advances in the game. Those must all have been prepared there in sufficient detail if you want a coder to team up with you.

In the meantime, you might want to take a look at the Software releases of the last years for the VIC-20 so you get a feeling for what is actually possible on the VIC-20 regarding graphics, sound, and game ideas in general.

Oh, and Welcome to Denial! :mrgreen:
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I was playing The Long Dark a few years ago and always thought it would be nice to see it translated into a Commodore.
Learning all the time... :)
darkseid1981
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by darkseid1981 »

@Mike
I'm not looking to team up with anyone, as I've mentioned I'm already working on a game and can't do both. So any one here that want to try and make it can do so. And as for looking at the game play of King Tut, that comes extremely close to what I was thinking of in terms of a limited range of view.

I'm sure there are more than a few devs. here that played to some degree Resident Evil or any of it's sequel/prequels and/or spinoffs and have a story in mind for a game. My current focus is fully on the dungeon crawler I'm working on and I have no intention or desire to tackle another project. Working on two projects at the same time is inviting disaster.
Keep moving forward.
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

I'd say that the VIC "community" (not every VIC fanatic is on this board) is perfectly happy with releases keeping coming, no matter what genre.
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose