You MUST see her collection...

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

You MUST see her collection...

Post by Jeff-20 »

Congrats to Linda! I will admit I'm not a big fan of world records in general, but I'm a fan of this collector. Mostly because she actually plays her collection! I'm also interested in how our early hobbies shape our career choices. You have to check out her story...

High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: You MUST see her collection...

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Great video.

2 things greatly inspired my career.

Encountering my first computers at age 11 at secondary school - A Commodore PET and a NorthStar (Time division Multiplex system) led to me going to school at 7am to get extra computing time - Thank you Mr. Todd for opening up early, that led to a Vic20 for my Birthday some years later.

My Physics teacher helping me build a reaction game from 555 Time and 4017 decade counter and LED's and later helping me scope and fix a blown power transistor stage in a Sansui Au101 amplifier.

All that early problem solving, basic electronics and programming was fascinating and led to a fun career in Engineering in Aerospace, Automotive and work in over 25 countries in Quality and Root Cause Analysis.

Before 5 Whys, I was the kid asking Why a lot ;-)
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

Her enthusiasm is infectious, so it's a fun watch. I had a few handheld games as a kid, not many. My latest VIC-20 game was actually inspired by a pair of 80s-era handhelds I loved, Simon and the Dungeons & Dragons Computer Fantasy Game. I also had a game called "Space Invader." Yes, that's "Invader," singular.

I was never fully-satisfied with single-game devices, though. I spent a crazy amount of time writing games for a Tandy pocket computer, which wasn't a particularly capable gaming platform. I still have this pocket computer, and it still works perfectly. I think, back in the early 80s, the industry didn't fully understand how fast technology would advance. So the pocket computers were slow and had a few kilobytes of RAM, but they were built to last for decades.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

It is refreshing to see someone play the games rather than people talking about how much money their collections are worth. Boxed Adventurevision... no mention, but talks about how much fun Coleco Pac-man is...

There seem to be a lot of engineers like her in this hobby. I never felt I had the talent (or training resources) to go in that direction. I guess I could say I took an artsy/creative path somewhat related to the aesthetics of the hobby...
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.