ZX Spectrum Next

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

ZX Spectrum Next

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've been lusting after the ZX Spectrum Next. I don't even like the ZX that much, but I would LOVE to know something like this is in the works for the VIC! Any thoughts on this system? Anyone own one? Any rumor on the probability of other systems getting this sort of remake?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum_Next
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: ZX Spectrum Next

Post by English Invader »

I backed the recent KS for the Plus model. I'm excited at the prospect of getting a robust, ergonomic Speccy for the 21st century (and those adjectives have never been associated with the ZX Spectrum before).
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

ZX Next : ZX Spectrum = Mega 65 : Commodore 64

Both systems interesting, but way too expensive for me and with no retro appeal (it's my limit, I can't get the point in new hardware emulating / simulating / extending the capabilities of old machines).
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

orion70 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:21 am ZX Next : ZX Spectrum = Mega 65 : Commodore 64

Both systems interesting, but way too expensive for me and with no retro appeal (it's my limit, I can't get the point in new hardware emulating / simulating / extending the capabilities of old machines).
I agree, such systems no longer have a retro flair. Add more memory, better processor, better graphics, and you get a ... PC! ( Edit: ... or an Amiga)
Last edited by Noizer on Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I think part of the appeal of the Next for me is that I feel dissatisfied with the original Sinclair (and Amstrad) hardware. I want a system that rights the wrongs of the 80s and gives me a ZX Spectrum I can get behind. If FPGA is the means to achieve that then so be it.

By the same standard, I'm less interested in the Mega 65 because I feel happy with the original C64 hardware. Same deal with the VIC-20.