Keyboard Quality

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Robbie
Vic 20 Dabbler

Keyboard Quality

Post by Robbie »

Hello.

I've ended up with a couple of Vic 20s, and the thing that strikes me most (forgive the pun) is the quality of the keyboards.

The VC20 has a really smooth action that's a pleasure to type on, while the other one needs you to pound on it like you're beating a mole with a mallet. If I'd used the latter first then I wouldn't have bothered trying to do anything useful on it, and would have dug out the C64 instead.

It doesn't seem to be wear or tear, but different designs. I was just wondering whether you folk with more than one Vic-20 have noticed similar differences.
Last edited by Robbie on Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Keyboard Quality

Post by srowe »

My original PET keyboard VIC is also frustratingly hard to use. The suggestion is that the silicone caps have leaked oil on to the carbon pads and that cleaning with ammonia should help. I've a couple of newer keyboards, they still work beautifully.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

I've had at least a half-dozen VIC-20s, but they've all had the same keyboard, the post-PET non-Eurostyle. They spanned 40 years, but my recollection is that they've all been exactly the same. That said, I know that Commodore frequently (always, maybe?) traded consistency for price.

If my MacBook Pro keyboard felt like a VIC-20 keyboard, I'd be quite satisfied.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I have two different types and none of them is eurostile or pet. I have 4 vic-20s and 3 of them is like the c64 keyboard. The 4th looks the same as the other three, but instead of metal springs, there are rubber cups inside. That keyboard is pretty horrible.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Robbie
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Robbie »

I've just unclipped a key and, like Boray's, the awful one has the rubber cups in place of springs.

It doesn't look like a low serial number or anything. I guess they just tried the different design, and it really is terrible.

I was mistaken about country though, they're both UKB (United Kingdom).

No sign of any lubricant in the cups though, so that might just be a PET 'feature', srowe.
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

I don’t know how the various vic20 editions does influence the typing quality. I only know that the best eBay catch for me, the one model was, declared as „with golden keyboard contacts“. Feels very soft and reactive.
Just for fun, does remember me every time of use to the golden PlayStationPortable Episode on Southpark😇 👹
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-