Denial Return to Print

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Re: Denial Return to Print

Post by Ghislain »

I'd love to see more issues of Denial. I have fond memories of getting the very first issue in the mail in 1996. I was in the middle of making Vicfall II at the time.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Ghislain wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:52 am I'd love to see more issues of Denial. I have fond memories of getting the very first issue in the mail in 1996. I was in the middle of making Vicfall II at the time.
I'm curious about the distribution of the Denial newsletter. How did people hear about it and order a copy?
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

English Invader wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:17 amI'm curious about the distribution of the Denial newsletter. How did people hear about it and order a copy?
For myself, I found out about the newsletter by doing an internet search on Yahoo! for VIC-20 related things on a VT-100 text-based terminal at the library. I then found a webpage that was announcing it, and I sent an email to Jeff with my home address.

And then Jeff sent me a copy of the newsletter a few weeks later.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Ghislain wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:15 pm For myself, I found out about the newsletter by doing an internet search on Yahoo! for VIC-20 related things on a VT-100 text-based terminal at the library. I then found a webpage that was announcing it, and I sent an email to Jeff with my home address.

And then Jeff sent me a copy of the newsletter a few weeks later.
I was still in school in 1996 and the computers didn't even have the internet back then. I had heard of some vague thing called "the internet" that was supposed to revolutionise all our lives but didn't get any exposure to it until about September 1997 when I started attending the local further education college and I first saw a search engine which seemed like a virtual genie that could provide unlimited wishes instead of the usual three.

The VIC-20 was a long way off then, though. It was a computer I remember my parents having when I was too young to appreciate such things and it would never have occurred to me as a 16 year old with the world at his feet that I would have the opportunity to explore the system 12 years later.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

I think this would be great and a very Retro feel to it.

I get nothing of interest in the post these days unless I order something.

Subscribing annually for 2 issues and a portion of this fee covering the costs of the forum as well as paper and postage seems eminently sensible.

I would love something in June / July for the summer holiday period and just before Christmas as I tend to do more with the Vic20 then when I am home from travels with work.

It would be great to have a tape once a year with the curated releases of the year. I was really pleased with my Denial tape a few years back.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Vic20-Ian wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:15 am I think this would be great and a very Retro feel to it.

I get nothing of interest in the post these days unless I order something.

Subscribing annually for 2 issues and a portion of this fee covering the costs of the forum as well as paper and postage seems eminently sensible.

I would love something in June / July for the summer holiday period and just before Christmas as I tend to do more with the Vic20 then when I am home from travels with work.

It would be great to have a tape once a year with the curated releases of the year. I was really pleased with my Denial tape a few years back.
Just for the record, I was thinking of a free printable PDF. I'm open to other ideas though.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Nay, we want fresh, fragrant, fine paper sent via good ol' snail mail :D
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

With COMMODORE FREE gone that'd quite fill a hole in the stomach. Am worried about what happened to Nigel Parker...
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
prowlr
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by prowlr »

With COMMODORE FREE gone that'd quite fill a hole in the stomach. Am worried about what happened to Nigel Parker...
Sorry to go off topic but what did happen to Commodore Free? I noticed new versions stopped for a while and then the site just disappeared for me.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

prowlr wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:06 pm
Sorry to go off topic but what did happen to Commodore Free? I noticed new versions stopped for a while and then the site just disappeared for me.
Last message from him was September 2019 on Lemon:

https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=210

Someone made a backup of the site before it was hacked and put it here:

http://commodorefree.archive.computer/
Paolopepper
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Paolopepper »

I’d love to have this. I’d have a particular affinity for something in the post but a PDF would be a great substitute.

I’m sure a few of us would help with contributions.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ok. Consider this an official call for submissions. I've updated the front page with my vision (to be updated with group feedback). http://www.sleepingelephant.com/denial/

We need content contributors (obviously). We also need volunteers for the first members of a rotating advisory board (basically, someone to help paste together and vote on content to include). I would also like publicists to recruit contributions and spread awareness of the project. Printed copies delivered by mail may also be possible by creating franchise distributors in each region to print and mail them.

Who's with me? Take a look at my new front page and tell me what you'd like to contribute.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

I've been digging into the Commodore tape format recently. While there's some information out there already much of it is inaccurate. Would an article on this be of interest?
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Who's with me? Take a look at my new front page and tell me what you'd like to contribute.
Hi Jeff,

I would be interested to look into a retrospective release timeline. A bit like the new games released this month.

It would need a bit of sequencing so each issue covers maybe a year.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

srowe wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:59 am I've been digging into the Commodore tape format recently. While there's some information out there already much of it is inaccurate. Would an article on this be of interest?
Vic20-Ian wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:56 am Hi Jeff,

I would be interested to look into a retrospective release timeline. A bit like the new games released this month.

It would need a bit of sequencing so each issue covers maybe a year.
Yes and yes! But for anyone else reading this, the articles don't need to be as ambitious. I think any topic thread here would be an example of what I, personally, would want it the periodical. In fact, many of the old threads here could be revisited (refined or updated) as content. Perhaps reviews of the newly released software and hardware. I am especially interested in development logs or explications of projects.

Editors are needed as a matter of principle (a board to approve the content as relevant to the mission of the group). Editors wouldn't alter content in any way, just arrange articles in each issue. I think submissions should be in word docs, so it'll be easy to just paste together. I would also like to include programs with the PDF in a zip file.

Anyone read the 2600 Hacker Quarterly? I'm open to all kinds of content.