How to run Super Expander in WinVICE?

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

How to run Super Expander in WinVICE?

Post by 20questions »

damn. by the way, i'm trying to get the super expander to run on winvice. Where does it reside in memory, which sys do i use? also, 7 zip can't open the prg file from zimmers

(mod: OT in original thread split off into own topic here)
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
i'd rather be a rock star than a pop start 8)
Mike
Herr VC

Re: How to run Super Expander in WinVICE?

Post by Mike »

The cartridge dump of SE on zimmers is uncompressed. Nothing for 7zip to work with.

In VICE, enable a +3K RAM expansion (Settings > VIC20 settings ...: 3K (block 0) and press OK), then attach the *.prg file as cartridge (File > Attach cartridge image ... > Generic image: select "Super Expander.prg" in the file requester and press OK).

The emulated VIC-20 auto-resets and starts up with 6519 BYTES FREE. Super Expander is active.
20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by 20questions »

Mike wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:38 pm The cartridge dump of SE on zimmers is uncompressed. Nothing for 7zip to work with.

In VICE, enable a +3K RAM expansion (Settings > VIC20 settings ...: 3K (block 0) and press OK), then attach the *.prg file as cartridge (File > Attach cartridge image ... > Generic image: select "Super Expander.prg" in the file requester and press OK).

The emulated VIC-20 auto-resets and starts up with 6519 BYTES FREE. Super Expander is active.
thanks :D this is some powerful software and i'm glad to be using it. it's sad that commodore never produced it in mass numbers
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
i'd rather be a rock star than a pop start 8)
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Or if you prefer using the command line

Code: Select all

xvic -memory 3k -cartA VIC-1211A-SuperExpander.A0
In this case you create a ROM image by stripping the first two bytes off a PRG file.