Got my VIC-1020

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Schlowski
NoMess!

Got my VIC-1020

Post by Schlowski »

It's in incredibly shape, nearly as new and even have a VIC-20 and some cartridges of the same condition - wow!
And now for the first time in my life I can use a VIC with more than 1 cartridge at a time, marvelous :)

Now what makes me wondering is how I can preserve this state, is putting some dark sheet over the whole thing enough to keep it as white as it is? Don't get me wrong, I won't put this into a dark place and enjoy only having it, I want to use it. But I also want to keep it's condition as long as possible, it would be nice if it will look the same in another 20 years.

Any suggestions from you collectors out there?

Björg
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Cool! Now we are (at least) two vic-1020 owners here! 8)

I just put old newspapers over mine (over the whole desk with the 1020+vic +1541+tape. I've got four old newspapers on it all...

My commodore front label on the vic1020 came off after 20 years in the closet. So maybe that's something to look out for.

I have also taped two thin lego pieces inside of the lid on both sides so that the lid doesn't rest directly onto the vic-20, instead there is a little gap. This also should give a little gap at the sides so that the hot air can come out somewhere. I have actually also bent the supposed holder of the rf-modulator to make room for some carts lying around...

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I have the on/off switch of the vic-20 turned ON all the time, and use the vic-1020 switch to turn the whole thing on and off... I think that's the correct way to do it...

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Thanks for the info :-)

I just had a look at ebay.de and guess what:
http://cgi.ebay.de/VC-20-System-mit-VC- ... dZViewItem

Maybe I should buy this one too, just in case :P One can never have enough complete VIC's.

The same combination as I got and from the same seller - seems that rpe55 has lots of interesting commodore stuff too, some disk drives I never heard of, for example (Floppy RF501C and Floppy Elite DS64).

Björg
bbell
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: Got my VIC-1020

Post by bbell »

Schlowski wrote: Now what makes me wondering is how I can preserve this state, is putting some dark sheet over the whole thing enough to keep it as white as it is? Don't get me wrong, I won't put this into a dark place and enjoy only having it, I want to use it. But I also want to keep it's condition as long as possible, it would be nice if it will look the same in another 20 years.
I have used black plastic garbage bags to cover my "still white" VIC. From what I understand it is the UV light that causes the yellowing. I think this should block the UV (and regular light for that matter), and also keep the dust out.

Brad.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

But I think papers is the best thing because there is no static electricity from them...
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Maybe I will manage to construct some sort of 'paper case' for my precious baby...

Thanks for all your input, especially the mentioning of static electricity!

Björg
bbell
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bbell »

One thing I did do was make a "cardboard box" case for my vic, I found a box that was a similar size to the breadbox (Although much taller), so I trimmed it down in height, turned it upside down (so the open side was pointing towards the table) and cut slots along the table side to allow the cables out, and viola a home made cardboard case.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Was the 1010 or 1020 ever sold in North America? I would love to get one, but all the Ebay Auctions are European (and have European power supplies).
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

The vic-1020 uses the vic-20s power supply (9v model), so I think it would work with an American (or Canadian ;) ) 9v vic-20 as well... That's my guess anyway...
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

To Ral-Clan:
Back in 1982 I visited the now defunct Eaton super store in downtown montreal. On the 8th floor was the computer stuff. It is there I saw then the VIC-1020 for the first and last time in my life.

Therefore, the answer is yes, these were sold in north america.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

eslapion wrote:To Ral-Clan:
Back in 1982 I visited the now defunct Eaton super store in downtown montreal. On the 8th floor was the computer stuff. It is there I saw then the VIC-1020 for the first and last time in my life.

Therefore, the answer is yes, these were sold in north america.
Oh...thanks! I suspected they were sold here because the VIC was so popular in Canada, but it's nice to have your confirmation. Seems they are extremely rare here. Would be great to find one of these!