VIC 20 n00b - getting started

Discuss anything related to the VIC
matburton
Vic 20 Newbie

VIC 20 n00b - getting started

Post by matburton »

Hey all,

Last night I dusted of a VIC 20 from my in-laws and, after some aggressive cleaning of the tape drive, managed to get it to work.

I never had a VIC 20 so I was hoping to get some pointers to aim towards a great setup, as well as any tips and tricks.
(I'm very sorry if I should have been able to find this information myself, any links and RTFM hints welcome!)

Here's a bunch of questions I have:

1. How can I get software? Any good websites? Is there reasonable ways to get software on to cassette tapes? Feels more in keeping to use tapes but are there other good alternatives?

2. What type of joysticks work? Would any of ST, Amiga or Megadrive/Genesis controllers work per-chance?

3. The modulator seems to be almost finished. I can just make out text on my TV but struggle to read it. Touching the modulator housing causes the picture to get much worse. I have a Philips CM8833-II and a 1084S-D, is there anywhere I could get a composite cable for the RGB port at a reasonable price? (I think my 1804S-D might do chroma/luma). If I instead found an RGB to SCART cable how likely is it that modern TVs will be able to use the signal? (I'd much rather use a CRT monitor if possible)

4. Is there any good places to source parts? e.g. I have a missing key and some keys on the keyboard are tricky to press, but might just need more contact cleaner.

6. Any cracking demos or VIC 20 defining software I should be aiming to run/acquire?
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: VIC 20 n00b - getting started

Post by srowe »

Welcome to Denial.
matburton wrote: 1. How can I get software? Any good websites?
You'll find some software on Zimmers

ftp://www.zimmers.net/pub/cbm/vic20/

You probably want GameBase

http://www.gamebase64.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12
Is there reasonable ways to get software on to cassette tapes? Feels more in keeping to use tapes but are there other good alternatives?
There are ways of getting software on to cassette but most people seem to invest in SD2IEC hardware to make transfer easy.
2. What type of joysticks work? Would any of ST, Amiga or Megadrive/Genesis controllers work per-chance?
Early Commodores use the same joystick (and paddles) as the early Ataris.
3. The modulator seems to be almost finished. I can just make out text on my TV but struggle to read it. Touching the modulator housing causes the picture to get much worse. I have a Philips CM8833-II and a 1084S-D, is there anywhere I could get a composite cable for the RGB port at a reasonable price? (I think my 1804S-D might do chroma/luma). If I instead found an RGB to SCART cable how likely is it that modern TVs will be able to use the signal? (I'd much rather use a CRT monitor if possible)
Simple solution is a composite video cable, something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMMODORE-C6 ... xyNThTeK~8

If you're prepared to hack your VIC you can convert it to output S-Video.
4. Is there any good places to source parts? e.g. I have a missing key and some keys on the keyboard are tricky to press, but might just need more contact cleaner.
I get most of my spares on eBay. Ask here, someone might have what you need.
6. Any cracking demos or VIC 20 defining software I should be aiming to run/acquire?
Recent must-haves are Manic Miner
http://www.sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web ... =10&t=8836

and Arukanoido

http://www.sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web ... =10&t=7584

and then there's Doom of course...
siccoyote
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by siccoyote »

1: I guess get the tap files and use a tap to wav convert then record them to a tape. Though personally I think the SD2IEC is but preferable, especially since much of the software is in disk format.
2: Normal joysticks are fine, don't use a megadrive one or your computer will explode.
3: Buy a C64 Composite cable rather than using the modulator.

5: There are quite a few dunno how many you can run from tape though. Plus you will be limited if you don't have a memory upgrade card. Though Blue Star is a great unexpanded game.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Penultimate+ seems to be a good starter option for newbies along with an SD2IEC drive as already mentioned.

https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/vic20- ... -plus.html

+ this is probably worth grabbing

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... hilit=1986
matburton
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by matburton »

Wow! Thanks everyone :D I wasn't expecting so many great responses so fast :shock:

srowe and beamrider: Thanks those were exactly the sorts of links I was hoping for. I might well have to get an SD2IEC down the line, it looks pretty convenient! That being said I'd like to get a few tapes to have an authentic-ish setup.
I guess get the tap files and use a tap to wav convert then record them to a tape.
Thanks siccoyote I'll look in to trying just that at some point.
Early Commodores use the same joystick (and paddles) as the early Ataris.
don't use a megadrive one or your computer will explode
Good to know! I have some Atari 2600 joysticks I know work. I tried one with the only tape I have but the picture quality is so poor I couldn't really tell if it was doing anything. That and I have no clue if the game in question is controlled by the joystick! However the wiki seems to have all I need to test the port.
If you're prepared to hack your VIC you can convert it to output S-Video.
Ah! I wrongly assumed the two videos pins must be chroma and luma but they both seem to be the same composite signal?
I'm probably never going to mod it, I'd prefer it to stay true :wink:, so it sounds like composite is the way to go.
This would have been perfect, but I'm too slow to the scene it seems (found via wiki link)
Penultimate+ seems to be a good starter option for newbies
That does seem to solve a lot of problems at once! Might well have to get one of those!

Right, first step is getting a clear picture :) thanks again all!